Skip to main content

Austrian Limber Teams at the Halfway Point. . .

 The three (almost) completed teams and limbers are at left, those waiting to be finished at right.


Here is a close-up of the three ready-ish for glossing.

After almost two hours addressing tiny details following supper this evening, the first three of six Austrian limber teams are juuuusssst about finished, ready for two coats of gloss, and some ground cover on the bases.  There are a few tiny things I want to fix tomorrow evening before moving onto the horse collar, straps, and harnesses, bridle, and reins on the fourth team.  Phew!  Painting draft horses is not for the faint of heart.

-- Stokes

Comments

Der Alte Fritz said…
They are coming along rather nicely! I think you really nailed the fawn grey color of the uniform coats.

Jim
My Dear Heinz Ulrich, Greetings!

Why does your group of limbers at the half way point put those completed efforts of others to shame? Your work has been excellent thus far and I speak for the rest of the community which follows you, that we look with great anticipation upon the final project. Just a quick question - will the battery have a mounted commander?

Stay well.

Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop Emeritus
Thank you for your kind word, men! The fawn coats are a thin wash or plain old tan over a white acrylic gesso basecoat. The lining underneath the arms long the torsos and up the front of the coats next to the buttons is very think dark brown applied with a tiny brush and much breath-holding. Just enough to offset the tiny buttons.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!