Skip to main content

That Boy Took My Love Away. . .

This model of acoustic steel string by Ibanez is on the way to Stollen Central!

A completely unrelated post here, but I'm excited.  At the end of the month when he celebrates his 5th birthday, the Young Master will receive a guitar like the one above from Ol' Dad.  Like many children, he loves music, often requesting Diana Krall for suppertime listening when we sit down at the table together.  Sting, Peter, Paul, and Mary,  and The Beatles are among his other favorites, and he enjoys listening to me play the guitar on rare occasion.  Yours truly first received a guitar on the day I celebrated my own 5th birthday way back in 1971, and it seems like a sound idea to continue the tradition.  I think he'll be thrilled when he unwraps it.  For my part, I'll certainly be thrilled to present a guitar to the Young Master on the big day.

-- Stokes

Comments

Rob Young said…
Good tradition to keep up/start. One of my own major regrets is that I never learned to play a musical instrument.
Matt said…
I am sure he'll love it. Sadly my musical talent stretches to turning the radio on!
Der Alte Fritz said…
Nice tradition to continue, just like Dad. :)
Peter Douglas said…
Great gift idea! I am sure he'll love it.

Cheers
PD
I can only imagine your level of relief that the tradition didn't call for a trumpet, a full drum set, or horror of horrors, a violin... :o)
guy said…
Good move. Regretfully I have zero musical talent but elder daughter played the trumpet. This led to being in lots of school bands/concerts etc and even my father who can be a curmudgeonly old so and so at times was mighty impressed when she played the last post on remembrance day.

Some years ago I went to a tiny concert with a Spaniard playing classical guitar. A v memorable evening.

Regards,
Guy
Martin said…
I hope you both enjoy the gift. Remember, though, when he's practicing, it could have been worse...you could have given him a bagpipe or a Peruvian Nose Flute!
Andy McMaster said…
An excellent gift! I hope he truly enjoys it and you get to play together.
Sadly I have to dust my guitar whenever I pick it up... :(

A
Prince Lupus said…
The love of music is a gift for life. Five already - time flies.

I have to agree with Diana Krall for dinner!

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!