Skip to main content

A Large Infusion to the Stollenian Warchest. . .


Payment for a lengthy translation, completed last summer, arrived finally mid-afternoon today.  It's reasonably large as these things go, and I'm allocating it to fund future, and as yet unimagined, figure purchases for the Grand Duchy of Stollen project.  Very likely more Minden and Fife&Drum stuff, which is simply too tempting to resist.  For the time being, though, I'm squirreling away these funds and forgetting about them since there is already a respectably sized pile of unpainted lead in Zum Stollenkeller.  Best to see to those before I go crazy ordering new stuff.  However, the Grand Duke Irwin-Amadeus II and Hives are enjoying clay pipes of the finest Virginia tobacco this evening, along with drams of something medicinal, in celebration of this windfall.

Comments

My Dear heinz-Ulrich,

How wonderful for you! You might want to wait until the Estimable James of Purky comes forth with additional command and cavalry figures. We can also highly recommend his specialty items like ammo wagons, pontoon sets and the variety of artillery he offers.

My valet has just whispered to me not to forget to extend the most wonderful Christmas and New Years greeting to you and the royal family. May your good fortunes continue and be enjoyed throughout the New Year, 2014.

Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop Emeritus

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...