Skip to main content

The Arrival of Mademoiselle de Ambuscade. . .

 
Presenting. . .  Mademoiselle Amalie de Ambuscade
Things are all abuzz at Krankenstadt Palace today.  By mid-morning, the Mademoiselle de Ambuscade and her entourage arrived after an arduous winter journey across Central Europe from Strasbourg in France.  It seems, the Grand Duke's aunts, in their quest to see Irwin-Amadeus II tie the knot and produce and heir, have taken over his social schedule in the New Year and have invited another suitable lady of marriageable age for an extended stay.  Complicating the matter is the fact that the Lady de Badinage [Thanks, Jeff!] and her retinue are already ensconced within the east wing of the palace along with the visiting General Leger de Main in the west wingPredictably, the Grand Duke has retired to his favorite red fainting couch in his private apartments with a dram of Absinthe and his favorite clay pipe packed with the finest Virginia tobaccoWashing his hands of the matter for a few hours, at least, Hives has crept away following the Grand Duke's breakfast, bath, and shave for an early lunch at his own club for gentlemen's personal gentlemen

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Oops! I thought that the "other lady" was Lady Solange de Badinage; with "General Etienne Aigner Leger de Main" being anything but a lady.

Surely mix-up of names due to Irwin-Amadeus' current flustered state.

Presumably Hives will correct the situation.


-- Jeff

PS, I find Amalie to be the more comely of the two ladies.
Chris Gregg said…
I like them both, and their names. Thanks for the 18th century female artistic treat
Fitz-Badger said…
She looks like a saucy minx.
Martin said…
It's looking like the Grand Duke will have to watch his flanks as well as his rear!

Will Hives be able to save the day? Or will Our Hero's bachelorhood be sacrificed on the alter of matrimony?!
Bloggerator said…
What Fitz-Badger said! Mrrr-ow!

Greg

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...