Skip to main content

Cold weather arrives in the GD of S.

A lovely, understated pre-Christmas image today.  Father Christmas trudging through the snow, apparently through a thicket of over-sized holly berries.

Much colder today and downright blustery here at Stollen Central this afternoon with high winds as the current winter weather system blows in from the North and West.  There may even be an inch or two of snow on the way tonight.  Cross your fingers!  Or as the Norwegians say "Kryss fingrane!"

We just took the Young Master to visit with Santa Claus/Father Christmas, and the two had a brief, pleasant conversation filled with smiles on both sides, so I suspect both parties fellt good about the experience.  Then, we followed with several last minute errands, including a quick trip to the hardware store for tiny washers and screws to attach the wheels to those four wooden trucks I've been making here in the elves' workshop.  Then it was onto our local arts and crafts store for a small bottle of glossy Liquitex acrylic varnish to finish the vehicles off once they are all done, a trip to the bank, and one or two other small errands.  

Once we were well and truly on our way home in the car, I remarked to the Grand Duchess, "Well, I truly hope to avoid anymore visits to stores until well after January 1st. . .  unless we need more eggnog!

Anyway, the four wooden trucks are coming along well.  I painted the blue windows and headlights onto them last night.  This evening will see me painting the small wooden wheels with two coats of black acrylic hobby paint and taking care of any necessary touch-ups.  I'll also provide some small details with some light gray paint,  Tomorrow, if all goes according to plan, I'll finish up with two coats of glossy varnish on each truck and then drill holes and add washers and the wheels on Saturday.  Watch for photographs of the finished trucks then.  And then, who knows?  Maybe, I can snatch some soldier painting time here and there before Christmas Eve.


Later. . . 

Oooo, the snow and blowing has begun!  We are currently under a blizzard warning here at Stollen Central.  Bring it on!


And here is a second image that I found trawling the 'net just a little while ago.  Kind of unusual in its relative plain-ness, but I like it.  It reminds me of the fires we always had at this time of year in the huge walk-in fireplace that was in the dining room of my maternal grandparents' colonial-era fieldstone farmhouse in Berks Country, Pennsylvania.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!