Skip to main content

And thus, the great painting experiment begins. . .


After a pleasant 90 minutes or so spent working with those glorious hussars yesterday evening, it was time to apply those two coats of white to my three test figures.  In the picture above, you'll notice the different mediums I'll be testing as well as a tin of Humbrol orange enamel, which I've been advised by a couple of you will help to yield a deeper, richer red once the washes have been applied.  This evening (Sunday), we'll get started in earnest.


Later. . .
Finally, after years of asking, "Whatever happened to him?" I've stumbled on a recently started blog by THE Doug Mason.  Please click on the highlighted link to be transported to his blog, which, I assure you, features considerable and impressive painting and conversion work like that we remember lo those many years ago.   Many of you, of a certain age, will recall the numerous photos of Mr. Mason's 25mm figures that once graced the pages of hoby magazines like Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated.  They might still, though it has been quite a few years since I have tracked down, much less read, either of those two publications.  I have also added another link -- One Man and His Brushes -- in the Interesting Links section at lower right that features similar inspiring brushwork.

Comments

Conrad Kinch said…
God bless the work - I look forward to seeing your results.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!