Skip to main content

A Bright, Sunny, and Cool Fall Day. . .

The Indra Club on the Grossefreiheit in Hamburg, Germany, where the Beatles played for 48 consecutive nights, before the police closed it due to noise complaints, from August to early October 1960.  The band then was moved up the street to the larger, wilder Kaiserkeller Club where they continued almost until being deported at the end of November that year.


Although I am (before Young Master Paul arrived two years ago that is) an avid Nordic skier (avid, but definitely not Olympic material by any stretch of the imagination) and enjoy the winter, Fall is my favorite season.  Here in the Grand Duchy of Stollen, we have one of those incredibly blue days with cool temperatures, and the leaves are starting to change colors and fall from the trees.  Ahhhh. . .   Reminds me of when I was a child and teenager, growing up on my maternal grandparents' place in rural southeastern Pennsylvania about two hours outside Philadelphia.

Which is just a roundabout way of saying that I managed to get in a couple of hours of painting last night on the current batch of nine Minden hussars.  They are starting to look like something though there is still much to do before they are all finished.  I fear I might run out of Citadel (ex-Games Workshop) Goblin Green though, which is the color I usually apply to the bases of figures.  Now that I think of it though, I do have a quart of Olympic Grassy Meadow, that I use on my tabletop and hills, which might be just the ticket if I thin it a bit with some water.  We'll see how much painting I can complete this afternoon.

Tonight, however my amateur rock & roll band The Indras has yet another date (we've been averaging two-three gigs a month for the last 18 months or so).  Click on the highlighted link to be transported magically to out website, which yours truly designed some months ago.  The cold that all three of us have suffered with during the last three weeks here at Stollen Central finally seems to be all gone, so I should be able to manage Long Tall Sally and Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey pretty well tonight.  But I digress.

Be sure to check back in here later today, or tomorrow for a hussar painting photographic update.  Only three weeks to go until the November 5th Painting Challenge deadline.  Will Stokes make it, or perish in the process with a paintbrush in his hand?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a