Skip to main content

Painting Table Noir. . .


So there I sat. Minding my own business while the rest of the world slept. That old, faded neon sign outside my window, buzzing loudly, blinked Eat at Joe's, to nothing and no one. No one but me. . .  Gloss E. Varnish.

As usual, I painted in a beat up fedora and wrinkled trenchcoat with a glowing Lucky stuck to my lower lip, a nickel-plated heater in the top drawer, and a half-empty bottle of cheap scotch on the desk. I'd made some headway on another batch of Holger Eriksson cavalry, a tough case to crack, and stopped for a swig or two of rot-gut and another smoke. I inhaled deeply, enjoyed the burn, and contemplated a new number three sable round with a good point that I'd bought a few days before.  It was a good night.
Suddenly, a shadow fell across my threshold. She was a dark city dame on the lam, trying to escape from a troubled past. And some guy called F.O. Wore, the leader of a new gang of toughs in the city, who were trying to muscle in on the trade.  I gave her a light and sat back to listen.
Her story came out in bits and pieces. With all her garbled talk of bounce sticks and cannister cones, enamels versus oils, written orders and imagi-nations -- Or was it her cool, appraising stare? -- she turned my life upside down faster than you could say Donald Featherstone.

I'd decided to take her case before she finished.  And her money of course.  No questions.  She could pay me later.  She thanked me and took another drag, her final words drifting into the stillness of my office through the clouds of blue cigarette smoke.  Already, I felt like a drowning man, going down for the last time.

 

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Are you trying to tell us that from now on all of your units will be painted in black-and-white only?

The Fat Man might laugh at that . . . but then he laughs at a lot of things. Things that most don't think are funny. Dead things sometimes.

Yeah. The Fat Man will laugh before you can say "Charles Grant" . . . but that doesn't mean that you'll finish your brushwork.

But whether you finish or not, the Fat Man will laugh. Some think it is a nasty laugh . . . but then some people end up on the bottom of the harbor while the rest of the world sleeps.


-- Jeff
Morning Jeff,

Yes, it occurred to me that this might be the easiest, fastest way to paint figures. Sadly, I can't seem to find a Joel Cairo figure in 30mm or a packet of tiny fedoras!

Best Regards,

Stokes
Big Andy said…
Down these mean streets a man must walk- where the sidewalk end the painting starts - Of course sometimes you get splashed with red....... but is it acrylic....
Gallia said…
Stokes,
Bravo and applause for the writing style.
Respectfully,
Bill

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!