Skip to main content

The Wild Boar Hunt Comes to an End. . .

Here is an artist's rendering of a rather stern looking Colonel von Adalnowski. Of course it could just be his extreme disappointment at the wild boar hunt ending sooner than planned due to a minor accident.


And here is a recent, and somewhat misleading, portrait of the young Major von Topfsange. Despite the hussar uniform he is depicted in here, the young Major is most definitely not an accomplished horseman. Reports from hunt participants suggest he was thrown from the saddle early during the hunt when his horse stopped short just shy of a hedgerow, tossing von Topfsange head over heels into the brush. Fortunately, the Major emerged from the accident relatively unscathed. However, he is, shall we say, a bit sore in the seat today, having landed squarely on his posterior.

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
So sad. I'm sure that the Major is very bummed.


-- Jeff (who couldn't resist)

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!