Skip to main content

Happy Day After!

As my maternal grandfather used to say over his glass of scotch and water, "Happy Day After!" I hope you and yours had a delightful Christmas Day and are now enjoying the quiet of the immediate post-Christmas lull.

Things have been relatively quiet here at Stollen Central today. The Grand Duchess has been off visiting some distant family in Champaign this afternoon, leaving me free for some painting. With the few hours available, I have been able to just about finish the first company of Flickenhoffer's Fusiliers -- the final infantry regiment making up the Army of Zichenau.

The figures still need their moustaches highlighted brown, the colors of the flag must be gone over with paints to make it rigid and ensure that the computer ink colors do not fade with time, which will also cover up the white paper at the edge of the edges. Finally, the requisite two coats of Future/Klear must be applied, and then the first company of the regiment as well as the regimental staff of four (Colonel Antonius von Flickenhoffer, his adjutant, the RSM, as well as the regimetal satndard bearer) is all finished. Then we only have 57 more figures of the regiment to go in three companies of nineteen figures each.


Anyway, the photo above shows where we are at the moment with the regiment. Now, I must, must, must get into the next room and get back to Move Eight of the Action at Pickelhaubewicz, which has been languaishing for over two weeks, so I can send some results to my partner in crime, Jonathan Broadus, allowing us to progress to the end of the turn and onto Move Nine.

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Stokes,

Did the Grand Duchess give you any figures this year?


-- Jeff
littlejohn said…
Nice!

Do you mount your figures all individually for painting? I noticed the bottle caps...it works for me with 40mm stuff but I have not tried it with 25s. Best Wishes for the Holidays!

--Dave
littlejohn said…
and may I humbly second the scotch and water "cure" for the holidays...


--Dave
tradgardmastare said…
Figs look good Sir ! Did you get inspirational reading material for Christmas?
I watched a super documentary on "Blackadder " last night and I fear some relatives of his may appear in the Saschen-Vindow Army.
Did you like the seris - I wasn't too struck on the first one - loved brian blessed though. The other seris were fantastic...
Thanks for your comments, men! Strangely, I received no figures or wargaming reading material this Christmas. :-( Well, I guess the Grand Duchess figured that I had enough figures from the previous two years, some of which I am working on now.

Best Regards,

Stokes
Martin said…
Stokes,

The Fusiliers will be the LAST Zilchenaur unit?! Say it ain't so!
(You realize of course that we're counting on the zen-like relaxation that painting provides and the addictive properties of Future Floor Wax to change your mind!)

Yours,

Martin

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...