Skip to main content

Ah, coffee and stollen. . . Does it get any better?

At the risk of sounding silly, I think the stollen that the Grand Duchess baked recently gets better everyday. It must be all of the butter and sugar in it. And combined with some fresh, strong coffee, well, it's just darn good. And apparently, cats think so too, or at least ours does!

Today's Christmas illustration is of uncertain origins, but it does date from the late 19th/early 20th century judging by appearances, and as all of you will know by now, I enjoy all of these old images of St. Nick, Christmas trees, and the like. Hard to believe that the big day is only about a week away now.

Good news! The Midwest here in the U.S. is supposed to have another big winter storm today. While we are probably going to have ice, or maybe a little snow here in Central Illinois, they are predicting about a foot of snow north of here in southern Wisconsin -- right smack over Delafield, where our Nordic skiing area -- Lapham Peak-- is located. So, the Grand Duchess Sonja and I will head up for a day of skiing on Saturday. By all accounts, conditions on the 25 miles of trails should be very good to excellent. Can't wait!

Comments

tradgardmastare said…
Stollen,coffee and snow sound just what the season ordered! I hope the skiing lives up to your expectations...
best wishes
Alan
p.s We have had a mild day of torrential rain here in Scotland- can't wait for the next cold spell!
Bluebear Jeff said…
Stokes,

I hope that you and that delicious stollen maker, The Grand Duchess Sonja, have a delightful day of cross-country skiing.


-- Jeff
Anonymous said…
Cross-country skiing sounds fascinating. Herzog Ignaz intends to send out a team of servants to enjoy it on his behalf at once.
guy said…
Have an excellent day skiing. I have just booked flights for our annual jaunt to the Alps but regretfully we do not go until the end of March as the girl's are now at different schools. One goes back on the 4th January so that meant we could not do our usual trip over New Year. It is a shame as I have a link on my computer here to the resort web cams and they are having a glorious start to the season. The upside is that the exchange rate for the pound is so dreadful at the moment that hopefully matters will improve in the next 2/3 months.

Regards,
guy
old-tidders said…
Stokes,

thanks for all these wonderful yuletide postings. I feel it's already Xmas, they've got me in the mood.

The Stollen looks very appetising (and much much better than one I bought to eat at Xmas).

Enjoy your skiing

-- Allan
Anonymous said…
Stokes,

You do realise that eating too much stollen can restrict your figure painting activities.
And, if I don't get around to leaving another comment before the day...make sure you have a Merry Christmas & a prosperous New Year.

Steve.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!