Skip to main content

Our First Snowfall in 2008!!!

We woke this morning to about three inches of wet snow on the ground! And I couldn't resist snapping a couple of quick photos to mark the occasion. You might recall that the Grand Duchess and I are avid cross-country skiers (Nordic), so the first snowfall of the year is always full of promise for the coming winter and fuels animated speculation in our home about the possibility of further snow, etc., etc.


And here is the obligatory shot of part of our back yard. Oops! Someone forgot to put away the firepit. Now, besides the continued tabletop adventures today, be sure to drop by again throughout the month of December. I have numerous special visual treats planned for you Stollen regulars, which will start tomorrow since it is December 1st and the first day of Advent.

Comments

tradgardmastare said…
Stokes
Fantastic photo and lovely snow ( house looks fantastic too ) - we had our first snow last weekend and my daughters really enjoyed making a snow Miffy. This weekend it has been -4 and thick frost and fog making our beech hedge ,in particular, look really beautiful.
I await the Advent surprises with great interest.We saw the lighting of the Advent Wreath at church this morning - can hardly believe we are so near Christmas!
I am really enjoying the game and lok forward to it's conclusion!
best wishes
Alan
tradgardmastare said…
Stokes
If you ever fancy another play by mail game and are looking for opponents count me in...
I think the table top teaser in Battlegames 15 looks most interesting...
Bluebear Jeff said…
Lovely winter photos there, Stokes. Am I correct in thinking that the first photo is of the front of your house?


-- Jeff

PS, no snow here yet.
Thank you, Men!

Jeff -- Yep, this unassuming German Craftsman-style house is home to Stollen Central and all of the affiliated wackiness that occurs therein. ;-)


Alan -- Yes, I remember seeing the photos of your girls with their snow maiden. It looks like they enjoyed their afternoon immensely. You're on for another play-by-email game. Let's talk about it in more detail during Christmas Week after things calm down a bit.

Best Regards,

Stokes
Fitz-Badger said…
Very pretty house there in the snow. It was around 80 degrees here today (near desert in So. Cal.), although I could see a bit of snow on top of the highest peaks of the local mountains.

Popular posts from this blog

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!