Skip to main content

More Painting and Some Grand Ducal Misadventures to Follow. . .

Here's a fantastic view of the Minneapolis skyline from the old Stone Arch Bridge, which used to take passenger trains across the mighty Mississippi River, to and from the Great Northern Railway Station. My old apartment was about half a mile to the right of this photo. I used to walk, ride my bike, and sometimes ski across this bridge several times each week.


Well, Blogger still is not accepting/publishing my pasted in Word text. Hell and damnation! But anyway, where in the world did September go? It seems like I just turned around, and all of the sudden it's Fall! No matter, Autumn is my favorite time of the year with its crisp, chilly temperatures, and lovely colors.

And speaking of colors, please continue to watch this space over the next several days for further developments with the current crop of figures. Then, of course, there will be a few new developments in the continuing misadventures of the Grand Duke Irwin-Amadeus II and his English manservant Hives along with those grand ducal canines, the Portugese Water Dogs Max and Moritz.

From tomorrow, the fair Grand Duchess and I will be off to Minneapolis-St. Paul (our old stomping grounds -- Yea!!!) for a conference. And I'm taking along some writing materials too, so I will be able to catch up on some of the recently negleected Grand Duchy of Stollen campaign narrative. See you next week after our return!

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Stokes,

I hope that you and your lovely Grand Duchess have a wonderful trip.


-- Jeff
tradgardmastare said…
Enjoy!
best wishes
Alan

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!