Skip to main content

Here's an interesting e-mail from Belgium!


I had this e-mail waiting in my in-box this morning from a visitor in Belgium (of all places)! Thought it might be interesting for your Stollen regulars to contemplate. . . especially you fans of 1/72 plastics:


Dear Stokes Schwartz,


After reading your Battlegames article with avid interest, the latest entries on your Stollen blog prompts me to write in.

- Cavalry, to begin with: Your article prompted me to seriously consider 20mm plastics again, rather than 15/18mm metal figures, for historical gaming. In that line, I wrote to HäT abut some of their 1806 sets due for release, and also mentioned a possible matrket for Seven Years War figures. Here's what they replied:

"The 7YW is indeed one of the periods we are contemplating for the future, and once we clear some of our current sets we will definitely look into it!"

Perhaps some encouragement from you and like-minded friends might help tip the scales? With Revell hussars and dragoons still widely available, I should think cuirassiers would be one of the most obvious complementary sets to make if they decide to enter the period (with Prussian infantry, esp. fusiliers, a close second). In any case, it may be worthwhile holding on to your war chest!

- Charge! gaming, coincidentally, is something a friend and I have picked as our project for this Winter. After reading through the elementary version several times however, I can find no mention of officers' role in the game's mechanics (nor in the advanced version, for that matter). - Yet the Brigadier explicitly mentions officers in his orders of battle and unit rosters. Have we overlooked something, or how do you and your opponent intend to handle this matter?

Your occasional thoughts on these and any related items would be much appreciated as we develop our imagi-national armies. Thank you again for a most inspirational article, and best wishes from Brussels,

- Stefan Schulz -


Wow! The possibility of 1/72 SYW plastics from HaT! Now, wouldn't that be something? Time for all you other plastics enthusiasts out there to begin politely badgering the HaT offices and encourging them to move ahead with this particular project. Dank je wel/Merci beaucoups Stefan!

Comments

Martin said…
Hi Stokes,

Speaking of plastics, the Zeveda Swedish Cavalry of Charles XII are available from the Michigan Toy Soldier & Figure Company. They are excellent looking figures. I'm glad that HAT has the SYW on their radar. It will be nice to have some variety of choices when it comes to plastic.

Yours,

Martin
Anonymous said…
Yep, I periodically chase them for 7YW and get the same favourable comment, so I reckon they will come along next year if we are lucky.
guy said…
Stokes,

Now that is good news especially if they will do some of the 'missing' areas such as grenzs, fusiliers, frei korps etc. Your Belgium correspondent says the hussars can be found. Where?! I've been searching endlessly!
...and for those plastic fans there was also mention of Warlord Games possibly doing some AWI in plastic in a discussion about Guildford Courthouse on the TMP 18th C. board...
Ha! That is awesome. I've been starting topics on HaT's forums encouraging Seven Years War figures sized to fit with the Revells about once a year or so. They usually generate about a dozen approving responses, but that's the first I'd heard any rumor of HaT actually doing it!

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!