Skip to main content

A Dispatch to General de Latte. . .

Schmitten, The Principality of Pillau-Zerbst

28 July 1768

My Dear General de Latté,

This letter is to inform you that my force and I will join your army in several days’ time just north of its current position. In my charge is a company of the Wolmar-Bock regiment, operating independently of its parent formation. The men, though ragged and somewhat course in temperament, are eager to join your army and will perform well in battle as I had the chance to observe some years ago when my regiment fought the Prussians in Pemerania. We were then in the service of Sweden. Both myPrince and colonel have asked me to relate that they will send additional companies if and when required in the interest of fostering closer ties between the Electorate of Zichenau and our own Principality of Pillau-Zerbst.

Your Faithful and Obedient Servant,

Captain Licentius von Meckern

Comments

Anonymous said…
Was von Meckern, perchance, originally an artillery officer?

"PLAY ANYTHING, SIR, JUST PLAY IT LOUD!!!"
Der Alte Fritz said…
It seems to be "Wacky Font Night" in Stollen.
Bluebear Jeff said…
Perhaps this mail has been intercepted by those lovely ladies who represent the Presipality of Monte-Cristo?

(note: I believe Jean-Louis should be back online within the week . . . let's give his agents credit in absentia.)


-- Jeff
...and the spell checker is off.... :o))))
NO, no. . . The name Licentius is deliberately misspelled to make it appear more "Latin" in form. ;-)

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!