Skip to main content

Finally a Bit of Painting Time. . .

Just a quick update today. Last night, I managed to get in a couple of hours of work on those last nine Spencer Smith cavalry. Finished the yellow turnbacks, tan breeches, and the blue saddle cloths. Naturally, I made a number of mistakes, which I then had to fix before quitting for the evening. But there was nothing too upsetting or time consuming, just some careful (re-) lining with GW Chaos Black. It felt good to be back in the saddle. Tonight, I’d like/hope to paint the blue coats. We’ll see if that actually happens. If so, that means the only things like the swords, scabbards, and a few assorted small bits will remain. With any luck at all, I might have the entire 30-figure unit finished with a photo or two in the next several days. Cross your fingers!

Comments

johnpreece said…
As soon as the whole unit is done then Spencer Smith figures really repay the work put into them.

I am looking forward to seeing the resulting photo's
A J said…
I agree! To begin with I was a bit dubious about Spencer Smith figures as they seemed almost too basic, but now my first batch is nearing completion they really look the business.
I too am really looking forward to seeing the completed work. How's the packing task going?
abdul666 said…
No personal experience to allow me commenting on John's first point, but I warmly support the second!
Jean-Louis
Bluebear Jeff said…
Isn't it wonderful how relaxing a painting session can be?

I find that they energize me. They also (for a time) take me away from the day-to-day hassles of life that seems to refresh me . . . and, of course, I get rather jazzed at what I'm able to get accomplished in a session.


-- Jeff

Popular posts from this blog

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!