Skip to main content

You see, the thing about long-distance bicycling is. . .

. . . that it boosts your metabolism to such highs that you can wield the paintbrush very quickly indeed. ;-) Sorry Frank, just kidding!

Actually, I am now waist deep in student papers from all of the courses I’m teaching this term, so painting has unfortunately slowed down a bit here at Stollen Central this week. Poor me!


However, I was able to paint the bronze bands holding the musket barrels in the wooden stocks for the 1st company of Zichenauers, which is now all finished except for the clear coat or two of acrylic varnish. You can see 'em up close and personal by clicking on the photo at the top of this post.


I’ve also included a close-up of Colonel Augustus von Finknottle below. The graininess of his coat (darn those acrylic whites) should be less obvious after a coat or two of Future. Still, I think he’s a dashing fellow at the head of his regiment, “The Newts”. What would Bertie and Bingo say? How about Honoria? And what might Jeeves think?

Last night, I got a jump on the next batch and spent a couple of late hours painting the white coats of the 2nd company. This is a two-step process, involving a coat of tan, followed by a very thin coat or two of white. The tan provides the shadow, a color closer to raw wool, while the white is the brilliant highlight of course.

I took care to keep the #3 brush and the Ral Partha white very wet in order to avoid the same grainy clumping that bedevils Colonel von Finknottle. I think you’ll agree that the final result is pretty good this time – nice, even coats of white with no graininess.


When I finish wading through these darn papers, it’s onto the white shirt cuffs peeking out the ends of the coat sleeves. And then the purple facings and turnbacks, followed by the crossbelts, etc. I’m trying to break up the obvious monotony of painting an 80-figure regiment by jumbling the process enough to keep things reasonably interesting.

Ok now it’s off to bed. Oberfeldwebel Klatschen sagt, "Gute nacht m
änner und schlaffen Sie shön! Zzzzzzzz. . ."

Comments

marinergrim said…
Nice. Very nice.
Bluebear Jeff said…
The troops look wonderful . . . and I suspect that Colonel von Finknottle's coat is merely indicative of the currently strained condition of his personal finances.

Hmmm, does he drink or gamble (or gambol)? Perhaps his family has fallen on hard times.

I know, he should take his regiment and find a good place to look . . . perhaps somewhere near the Gallia / Hesse-Seewalt border?


-- Jeff
old-tidders said…
Looking good, I especially like the mounted officer.

-- Allan
Fitz-Badger said…
Bertie and Bingo would probably say "What ho!". ;-) What would Madeline Bassett say?

Great paint job!
Frank said…
Great stuff again Stokes. I don't how you keep it up. You must get up to something on those bike rides that gives you inspiration :-)
M McCown said…
Wow, these look fantastic! Made all the better by the wonderful camera work. Looking good, Stokes but I will leave long-distance cycling to you regardless of the inspiration :)

Marnie

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!