Skip to main content

Weekend Painting Goals Met (For Once)!

Happy September everyone! I actually met my painting goals this weekend, as seen in the photo above. The poor Grand Duchess was sick in bed with a cold, so I had a few extra hours here and there. Therefore, you’ll notice that I painted the flesh areas of about 20 figures, along with the green bases and white coats -- as I stated I would do late last week.

The coats were kind of an interesting exercise since I’ve never painted white uniforms before. I was trying to approximate the look of 18th century “wool”, so I first painted tan acrylic over the black, followed by white over the tan, taking care to leave some of the tan showing as shadow. Generally, I’m pretty happy with the effect, and the figures actually look better this morning than I thought they would!

The paints used for this work were Ceramcoat “tan” and an old bottle of Ral Partha “white” that I’ve had and used extensively for about ten years! That little bottle must be magic because it just refuses to dry up. I occasionally will add a few drops of water to the bottle, and it seems to work. The paint still flows nicely and has great coverage for a “white” – especially over a black undercoat!

At the far right of the photo, you’ll also see the company NCO, who has had his facings, turnbacks, breeches, and smallclothes completed with GW Warlock Purple. I also painted the silk bag attached to his bearskin with a couple of coats of GW Blood Red. I was eager to see just how everything would appear when complete and think the entire unit should look stunning when it’s finished.

So, this evening, I’ll paint the breeches for the rest of the company and staff. We’ll see how that goes.

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Please give my best wishes to Grand Duchess Sonja with hopes for a quick recovery.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product . . . keep those brushes flying.


-- Jeff
meadows boy said…
They are going to look great!
cheers
Der Alte Fritz said…
Ral Partha paints are now sold as Iron Wind Miniatures (or does the M stand for Metals?). You can still buy their white paint. For Austrians, I use their Light Grey as the shaded color and the Partha white as the highlight (I don't do the 3 color method, 2 are just fine). All this over a black undercoat.

They are looking good so far, Stokes.
Frank said…
A fine looking body of men indeed.
Press on sir, 'cos I can't wait to see them finished.

Frank

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!