Skip to main content

First Batch of Zichenauers Nears Completion!


The title says it all. I am almost finished with slightly more than one quarter of the 80-figure Ermland Grenadiere Garde regiment. And you know? They don't look half bad. So, three cheers – Hip, hip, hip! Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!

The next painting session should see these babies all finished save the clear coat of Future acrylic floor polish. The remaining items include: silver musket barrels and bayonets, brass musket fixtures, officers’ gorgets, mounted colonel’s sword, brass scabbard tips and sword hilts. Oh, and I mustn't forget the few bits of brass hardware on the furniture of Colonel von Finknottle's horse!

Things went so swimmingly this afternoon and early evening that I pressed on and attached the flag, recoloring its horizontal stripes. I wanted something eye-catching, so I used a number of different colors to alter the real Baden-Durbach regimental standard. I’m very pleased with the results. So, barring any delays, by Wednesday or Thursday, I should be at work n the next batch of 19 figures of this monster regiment! Oh, the pain of it all, the pain. . .

Comments

old-tidders said…
Those grenadiers are going to be a nice looking unit - the flag really looks good with them

-- Allan
In fact the language of Jordicken is closer to saxon/scandonavian mix, thought to be decendants of a Russ tribe who having settled in what is now northern Russia were pushed out and took refuge in this valley where they gained a germanic influence, a little interbreeding led to a strange and mixed up tongue thus the odd "ovich" mixed in with "stien" and "stade"
abdul666 said…
Bravo! Keep courage!
Jean-Louis
Bluebear Jeff said…
The flag does look good . . . as, of course, do the men.


-- Jeff
Thank you men! Your continuing interest and support keeps me going.

Enjoy the day,

Stokes
Frank said…
Aww Stokes I want to kick your butt!
I am so jealous of how you crank out these superb looking fellas in vast numbers, while I crawl along at a snails pace.

However, as always your army is inspirational, so I keep slogging on. Keep up the good work, they look terrific!

Frank

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!