Skip to main content

25-30mm Figure Comparison


Juts messing around with various things on and beneath my painting desk today, and I thought some of you might be interested in seeing how the various ranges of figures I am using for the Grand Duchy of Stollen Project compare to one another. So, take a look at the two photos above. From left to right you see the following: A 25mm RSM95 mounted infantry officer, a 30mm Spencer Smith mounted officer, a 25mm MiniFig “Frederick the Great”, and finally a plastic 1/72 Revell Austrian dragoon trooper.

Not a huge amount of difference in height between the four miniatures, although the latter two are a bit shorter in stature. It’s also interesting to see the difference in sculpting style and in proportions. Although I am a fan of MiniFigs (and in particular their 15mm Napoleonics of which I have 2000+), I think that their 25mm SYW range leaves a bit to be desired where correct human proportions are concerned.

Specifically, the three 25mm MiniFig mounted SYW generals in my collection are a little on the dumpy side with overly large calves, heads, and hands. The other three figures pictured above are much better in that department. In any case, I think all of the ranges will work well together, especially assembled into their various BIG units.

Comments

meadows boy said…
Very interesting, your consistent and good painting syle will go a long way to making them work together!

cheers

David
abdul666 said…
Playing on the thickness of the base can make slight differences in size even less noticeable. I found it iseful years ago when the notion of '25mm' was evolving.
Bluebear Jeff said…
You are right. I'd have no trouble with units of all four as part of my army.


-- Jeff
Very interesting array there. I especially gained a new appreciation for how well you painted the RSM figure!
MurdocK said…
Once assembled into their mass units, I have found no complications in mixing various makers minis. My own French Napoleonics are a mix of three different eras of Prince August minis (some of the home castings probably should have been rejected, but at the time I just needed the masses of men!). Even within their lines the 25mm minis range from similar to the Minifigs (I have many minifig Russian gunners) to the very elegantly proportioned (though rather plain with few cross-belts/pouches and face details) Austerlitz minis, from moulds released in 2004 in time to do the Austerlitz battles.

Most of the Russian ones I have are from this line and while very simple in presentation (not a lot of pouches/belts etc) their effect once put on the table in masses is excellent.

When it comes to equipment (specifically the artillery) I have seen no compromise with the mostly Prince August that I use, when the two or three Foundry ones are put out, most players cannot really tell the difference!
marinergrim said…
For some reason I always thought RSM figures were considerably smaller than Spencer Smith. This is probably a hangover from "The Wargamers" and their Sittingbad game last year. John Preece fielded several RSM units which looked smaller but now I think about it that must be because his Stadden figures were so big!

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...