Skip to main content

The Grand Duchy of Stollen Appoints a Minister of Tourism and Travel

8000+ visits have been registered at the Grand Duchy of Stollen since the creation of this blog last August! Thank you again to all of the duchy’s regular tourists, fans, well-wishers, and enthusiasts. The duchy would be a dull place without your visits, observations, and assistance. And certainly not as exciting and intrigue-riddled a place for the newly appointed Minister of Tourism and Travel, one Herr Peter-Erich von Eulenspiegel -- “Rotten Peter” to his enemies, and there are many!

Looks like Stollen’s Leib (Grand Duchess of Sonja’s Own) Grenadiers will have their first whiff of black powder sometime next fall when they will follow their Grand Duke Irwin-Amadeus II, sans his lobster costume, north to one of the annual Charge!/BIG Battalion games put on by Bill Protz, Jim Purky, et al in the Northern Chicago suburbs. I’ll have them all painted well before then, and I’m sorely tempted to add another 20 figures, so that the grenadiers will have a four-company establishment of over 80 miniatures.

Back to the present though. The spring semester is almost over, and wouldn’t you know. . . I’ve finally succumbed to a minor case of the flu with a slight fever :-(. I don’t think one can teach at any level without picking up something unpleasant in the air from one’s students. So, I have not felt like doing any painting at all for the last few days. Sigh. I’m slightly better today, so maybe by Thursday evening, I’ll be up to working for a couple-three hours or so? We’ll see. Cross your fingers in the meantime!

Comments

Sorry to hear about your flu, Stokes. It is indeed a hazard of the profession, I think, but still a nuisance. I do hope you'll continue improving quickly.
I enjoy reading your blog.
Bluebear Jeff said…
Sorry to hear about your flu. One of the things that I do when I'm under the weather and not able to paint is to think about or work on terrain.

Using balsa-clad foam-core, I'll make buildings; or I'll work on some trees; or some such. It helps pass the time (and the terrain becomes very useful) without needing the concentration that figure painting requires.


-- Jeff
marinergrim said…
Fully sympathise with your condition. as someone who has been battling a hacking cough for the last two weeks it is difficult to be enthused to paint.
It will get better of course.
just in time for the hay fever season!

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!