Skip to main content

Company A of Grand Duchess Sonja's Own is Done!



Excepting the clear coat of Future floor polish, the 19 figures that comprise Company A of Stollen’s Leib (Grand Duchess Sonja’s Own) Grenadiers, plus the staff of six, are finished! The stars must have been in line Sunday afternoon and early evening. I was able to get all of those little final details done. 48 garters, and I must have painted 500+ gaiter buttons today!

Anyway, here are three new photos with better lighting. At the top is a shot of the regimental staff, including mounted colonel, ensign, and Oberfeldwebel Klatschen at the far right. The second picture shows the "doctored" Hessian infantry standard up close. It's not exactly like the one carried by Brigadier Young's Erbprinz/Poltava Guard Regiment, but close enough. Let's say that I've personalized it a bit! Finally, another photograph Company A in 'column of fours' with an as yet nameless captain and drummer at the front and a sergeant at the far rear. All officers wear white gloves, which hide the red facing color and yellow lace on their cuffs ;-).


Now, if the military miniature painting gods smile on me this evening, I'll get started base coating the second batch of 19 figures with Liquitex acrylic gesso -- Company B of Stollen's Leib (Grand Duchess Sonja's Own) Grenadiers. Charge!

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the pictures. (And you are right about wives not understanding the importance of our hobby.)


-- Jeff
Excellent! I look forward to the outcome, Stokes. Sounds like quite a lot of work, but rewarding in the end.

The Erbprinz is the regiment of grenadiers in the foreground of the cover of the book, right?
Yes, you are correct. That is are the Erprinz/Poltavea Guard Regiment in the foreground on the cover of Charge!

Stay Tuned,

Stokes
Aw jeeze! "Erbprinz" with a B!

Stokes
Giles said…
Those are beautiful figures, Stokes. I like the light blue faced red look. The New Hampshire regiments in the AWI had the same colour scheme.

Giles
old-tidders said…
Super-duper. Lovely paint job.
Larry said…
Hello!

What minis are you using?

Thanks,
Larry
correus@yahoo.com
Hi Larry,

These particularl figueres are the old Pax Britanica line by the deceased Steve Hezzlewood, now sold as RSM95s by the Dayton Painting Consortium in the USA. If you like the look, I'd strongly suggest snapping up enough to build your own unit(s). They are a joy to paint and add to the collection.

Best Regards,

Stokes Schwartz

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!