Skip to main content

Getting There with the RSM95 Grenadiers!



Well, unfortunately the Grand Duchess has a nasty cold and has been in bed all day sleeping and reading gardening magazines. Between my visits with meals on trays, cold/cough medicines, etc., I've had quite a bit of unstructured play time to myself today. So, I've managed to get quite a bit of detail work finished on the first 24 RSM figures.

Still enough to do, but you can see that I've finished the red vests along with the red facings and turnbacks, yellow lace on collars and cuffs, plus the frilly white cravats on the officers and shirt cuffs on the enlisted men. And not too many mistakes. . .

On that note, I think I've finally got this neat "mistake removal" trick down. When you get paint where you don't want it, immediately rinse your brush well, leave the bristles fairly wet, and begin brushing over the area where you've made your mistake. You might have to wipe the bristles a time or two on your paper towel to remove the moisture and color you are lifting off the figure, but it works nicely.

Once you've removed the offending color from the area where you most deifinitely DID NOT intend to put it, just continue painting as before. I beleive, if memory serves me correctly, that either Bill Protz or Jim Purky suggested this little tip on the Old School Wargaming Yahoo group some months ago, and it's been very helpful. So, hats off and a hearty thank-you to Bill and Jim!

Anyway, tomorrow it's on to the white shoulderbelts and musket straps followed by the musket stocks themselves if I have the time. I've got about 20 student bibliography projects to look at tomorrow though, so you never know. But then it is April Fool's Day, so. . .

Comments

Just mark all 20 papers with a quill pen "This work declared heretical by order of Grand Duke Irwin Amadeus. Burn immediately and start over."

This quick and decisive royal action should suffice to allow you to return your attention to the tailoring and equipping of your troops. ;)

They're looking great, and I'll keep that mistake removal tip in mind when I get the opportunity to start mine.
Bluebear Jeff said…
They are looking quite nice. Good going . . . and keep the photos coming.


-- Jeff
Ed said…
They are indeed looking good. You have, almost, encouraged me to get painting.

Almost...

Ed
marinergrim said…
Keep up the good work.

Painting that is - everything else is just something to fill the time in with (and pay the bills!).

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!