Skip to main content

Getting There -- Slowly, But Surely

Happy Monday! No school for me today since Abraham Lincoln’s birthday is honored in Illinois, so I’m enjoying a large mug of coffee and listening to RDP Radio Portugal (in Portuguese) on my big, old Grundig Satelit 650 shortwave radio at the moment. Best of all, there’s a massive snowstorm headed directly our way from which we could accumulate as much as 8” of new snow by Tuesday evening. So, it looks like it’s time for me to apply another coat of glide wax to our skis in anticipation!

I painted lots of smaller things on the latest squadron of dragoons yesterday afternoon, and during a second session in the evening. Except for the metallic colors (swords, musket barrels, et al), which I envision taking about an hour, the troopers and officer are all finished. The big job now is to get the brown Grumbacher “English Red” applied to the horses. It usually takes about an hour to paint 4-5 horses because I work the paint carefully around all of the reins and harnesses, which I leave black. So, figure about two hours for nine horses. So, shall we say about three hours of work remaining?

I’ll have to let the oil color on the horses dry for a couple of days before I paint the white markings on muzzles and legs, so I’ll turn my attention to the third and final squadron. Here, I must apply the black undercoat before I can proceed with normal painting. The acrylic gesso was applied a few weeks ago, and I only applied black undercoat to two of the three squadrons before beginning with the “real” painting. Oh, hang on. Portugal has gone off. Time to retune the radio. Ok, now I’ve got the ABC via Radio Australia.

Anyway, it’s been fun to see how quickly a “large” regiment of cavalry has progressed when painted in batches. Prior to beginning, I feared it would take three months to get this 30 strong dragoon regiment painted. There are 30 men AND 30 horses to paint after all! It now seems to me that it makes much more sense to paint large units in sections rather than my earlier method of painting ALL faces, for example, in one go. The former approach seems to provide more rapid visual progress. At any rate, finishing the current project before the end of February seems like a distinct possibility.

On another note, I see that I’ve written more than 66 pages since starting my fictitious 18th century journal about 14 months ago, in December 2005. It corresponds very roughly to The Grand Duchy of Stollen 1768 blog, although I have not posted everything from the journal here. Conversely, I have written a number of postings directly into the blog that do not have counterpart entries in the journal. Still, it’s interesting and fun to look through all of the thoughts and ideas that this “imaginary” project has generated in each place.

Lately, I must admit to delusional daydreams about the possibility of some kind of book about my “take” on the hobby and how to do it my way. But then I think, “Come on, there isn’t that huge a market for this kind of thing. How would you interest a publisher? And besides, how could you do it better than Young or Grant?” Potential challenges and problems aside, it seems like a neat idea from time to time.

Finally, there’s a neat painting contest going on over at the CAMRA, SOSAC, & Olmec Derision Society discussion board right now -- The Golden Grenadier Painting Competition. The competition involves painting a single, correctly proportioned figure to completion and submitting a photo of said model for judgment on or before March 01, 2007. Complete rules can be viewed in the “files” section of the discussion board. Looks like it will be a lot of fun. And the award is a “cyber” certificate with cool graphics, which might look impressive if printed, framed, and hung on the winner’s wall. For more information, please visit:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CAMRA_SOSAC_Olmec_Derision_Society/

Hope to see you there!

Comments

Mr. Fox said…
Hehe..I just changed the deadline to March 10th for all the slower painters out there.

Should have a TMP announcement out soon, too.


DwarfMan
Prince Henry of Anthro-Paphburg
Owner of CAMRA, SOSAC, & Olmec Head Derision Society...
Regarding publishing a book...I personally recommend taking a look at self-publishing through www.lulu.com if you're seriously considering it. You can also check out www.iuniverse.com but it's quite a bit more expensive. Still, worth comparing them to get an idea of what's available, as they're the two primary self-publishing companies I'm aware of online. Both have gotten decent reviews in a couple of magazines I trust, with Lulu getting the editor's choice award due to its low costs.
Mr. Fox said…
Ah yes, the book.

If you publish it, I would buy it!!!!


DwarfMan
Prince Henry of Anthro-Paphburg

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a