Skip to main content

"A Plastic Painting Tip" and "Book Reviews, Anyone?"

I managed to spend a little time painting yesterday between baking pies and preparing a salad for dinner. First, I painted the white trim around the edges of the tricornes worn by my 13 artillery crew, who are starting to look pretty darn good. Second, I painted the underside of the figure bases with more of the GW “Goblin Green”. I also did the same for the recently finished Jäger zu Fuß. And a bunch of photos really are coming just as soon as I resolve my ongoing camera problems :-(

Today, I’ll add the usual Future treatment, so the figures will be completely sealed in paint and acrylic varnish, which hopefully will preserve my paintwork for a long time to come. Painting and finishing the underside of each figure’s base also seems to make them look just a bit more completed too! I’m going to do the same for the 2nd (Von Laurenz) Musketeers today after adding some more detail to Stollen’s battery of artillery.

On a slightly different note, I’ve had an interesting idea. The other day, after the C.S. Grant book arrived, I posted a question over at OSW, asking members about their most recent “new” old school book purchase. I also asked them to say a few words about why they liked their purchase, how it was useful, etc. Member response was quite good, and it got me thinking about “serious” book reviews. So today, I proposed that OSW members could, if interested, write up carefully considered and detailed 3-4 page reviews of various “old school” titles.

The reviews would have to go further than “Uh, I really liked this book because. . . “ Instead, the kind of reviews I envision would need to discuss not only the merits of a particular work, but also its more obvious, and perhaps less apparent, shortcomings, where an author succeeds, where he could have developed his thoughts more, and so on. Kind of like the reviews one reads in the New York Times Book Review section, the Chicago Tribune, or various and sundry academic journals. I suggested that we could post these reviews in the Files section at OSW.

So, what’s the point? First of all, it would be an interesting exercise in thought for the reviewer, who would be forced to examine “what” specifically is good about a particular title besides the presence of illustrations. Second, carefully written reviews would also be interesting and potentially helpful for other enthusiasts to read. So, we’ll see if any OSW members think this is a neat idea or too much like work. In any case, I volunteered to start the ball rolling with a review of Featherstone’s Complete Wargaming (1988), which will eventually appear here, whatever develops over at OSW. Stay tuned!

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
I've always painted the bottoms of my figures. I also add the unit number (or my initials) in the "unit color" . . . it makes figures easier to identify.


-- Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Good to hear from you! I assume you have power restored to your island at least for the time being?

Enjoy the day,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a