Skip to main content

Later. . .

I’ve just concluded about four hours (with breaks) of painting musket stocks and bayonets plus the one remaining spontoon finial and the flag pole. Though I’ll leave the musket barrels until tomorrow, I’ll try to return later this evening and paint the redesigned eagle on the center of the flag (obverse and reverse). The 2nd (Von Laurenz) Musketeers really look amazing!

Throughout the painting process, I’ve tried to avoid sheer perfectionism, which can severely slow one’s painting rate, and go for a mass effect. While an individual figure might not be perfectly detailed, the regiment is impressive in mass. As soon as my more technologically adept wife returns home, I’ll have some scanned pictures ready to upload here and at OSW. This will give me another couple of days to finish the unit in its entirety

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Yes, please post some pictures . . . we'd like to see the brave fellows in their uniforms.


-- Jeff

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!