Skip to main content

Just a small update and. . . a campaign map!!!


My second round of six bottles of GW paints arrived a short while ago along with a large (and I mean LARGE) box of Warhammer figures and scenery that I did not order and, fortunately, for which I was not charged. Still, I had to call Games Workshop to let them know about their error and arrange for United Parcel Service to pick up the small army of figures at no charge to me. But anyway. . . The paint is here, and that’s what counts.

I made a big push to finish trimming the mold lines away from my next unit – Stollen’s Jaegers zu Fuss. All 32 figures are now trimmed and glued to their temporary bases, awaiting their coats of Elmer’s glue and black Liquitex acrylic. Since I’ll have about 50 undergraduate papers to read and grade (a largely thankless task, I assure you) this coming weekend, it seems unlikely that I’ll be able to do this before next week. As a result, it seems that meeting the September Painting Challenge at OSW seems increasingly unlikely. But I’ll make a big push next week and the following weekend and see how far I get before October 1st.

Finally, my amazing (and technologically adept) wife, Sonja, scanned my rudimentary campaign map yesterday at her office. I will eventually redraw it, but the basic form and colors will remain the same. You can see easily from the finger smudges that I’ve never outgrown sketching with artists’ pencils and coloring. Like many of you, I suspect! I hope you enjoy my attempts at providing a somewhat more concrete representation of the political geography of Stollen, Zichenau, Pillau-Zerbst, et al. Until later then. . .

Comments

Poruchik said…
Very Nice Stokes! Inspirational.

Now I suspect if that lake were extended a bit further south, you potentially would find neighbors. Oh perhaps the Duchy of Alzheim and the Electorate of Vulgaria.

Donald~
Bluebear Jeff said…
I like maps.

But interestingly enough, I'm developing a "mapless" campaign system for the "Wars of Arcadian Glory" (our eventual local 18th century campaign).

I suppose I'll float it on my blog one of these days.


-- Jeff

http://saxe-bearstein.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!