Skip to main content

Almost Finished. . .

Black lance stripes done?  Check!  Not too bad if you'll permit me to say so.  Just a few touch-ups and glossing left, and then I can begin in earnest with all of those Austrian dragoons shown here a few days ago.


Sometimes, you just have to shut your mouth and get on with it.  Taking my own advice for a change -- Go on!  A little mockery and derision is good for the soul.  The Grand Duchess would likely suggest I deserve it. -- I slipped into the painting chair for just over an hour yesterday evening for the sole purpose of painting lots and lots of black stripes onto and around all but two of the lance shafts pictured above.  I just finished the  remaining pair a short while ago (Tuesday afternoon about 14:30 EDT), and here is where things stand with those 14 Minden Bosniaks at long last.  

We're almost there, folks!  Just a few small touch-ups and the two coats of acrylic gloss.

Interestingly, I am always of two minds as the end of a painting project approaches.  On the one hand, it is very satisfying, as many of you will no doubt agree, to add those last few, final touches that help to make a miniature unit perfect in our eyes.  On the other hand, I'm darn glad (and that's putting it politely) to finish 'em up, so that I can move onto something else.

For me, there is a magic window -- somewhere along the line during the painting process -- between the rather boring early stages of base coats and initial undercoats of color, and those last few licks of paint that make a unit finished.  Which is to say, the interesting parts of painting a unit of 12-60 or so figures are bookended, for me at least, by more arduous tedium at both the start and end of any particular project.  

Yet farming my unpainted figures out to a professional painting service still seems a bit beyond the pale to me.  Although I've thought about it in passing these last few years.  I know that there are quite a few around here who have done so and been reasonably pleased (???) with the results, but I've never quite been able to reconcile myself to following their lead.  Or is that lead?  There's a bad pun there somewhere.  Ok, ok.  Don't throw too many stones.  Give me a chance to find my cycling helmet first. 

Alright.  Enough prattle.  Time to finish 'em up and move forward with the next addition to the Grand Duchy of Stollen collection.

-- Stokes

Comments

Matt said…
It's a labour of love to get them looking good. Well done Sir!

Wellington Man said…
Bravo, Stokes.
I share your sentiments exactly, including the reluctance to hire other people to paint my soldiers. The temptation to do this is not completely absent, but it isn't very strong.

I can't wait to see them in all their shiny glory.

Best regards
WM
tidders said…
Nice to be near the end of a painting a unit - the anticipation of choosing what to paint next .. :)

Looking forward to seeing the Bosniaks finished
Anonymous said…
They look really good and will be a colourful unit on the table. I've had one unit painted professionally and while I'm pleased with it, it doesn't really fit in with my painting style; so I'll just have to get my skates on with the lead pile! All the best, Simon
Marvin said…
I love their exotic attire. Anyone's patience would be tested with all those neat lance stripes - very nicely done.

I well know that restless feeling towards the end of painting project! With just a few touches remaining, the visual benefits can be few and yet the pleasant anticipation of what to do next is steadily rising.
Thank you for your kind comments, everyone! Glossing this weekends, and then it's time to move onto something else. Something where I don't need to hold my breath for quite so long, which is to say much less piping and far fewer stripes.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a