Skip to main content

And It's the End of September!!!

 

Saxony's Ploetz Cuirassiers, an illustration lifted from the Kronoskaf website, which has thus far guided my spectacularly glacial painting of 30 28mm Eureka Saxon cuirassiers purchased all the way back in October 2016.

A gray, cool Saturday here in Mid-Michigan with rain in the forecast. The Grand Duchess is away at a conference, so it's just "The Boys" here at home. The Young Master (almost 15) has retreated to his room for something or other following breakfast while I have stolen back down here to Zum Stollenkeller (masquerading as my office) with a second mug of coffee and both cats comfortably ensconced nearby. Enjoying the late morning and still in my pajamas!

Not much planned for today beyond designing a couple of promotional flyers for workshops my department is presenting (small parties we will throw?) in October and November.  With maybe a bit of on the next podcast script. More important,  I am toying with the idea of returning for an hour or two this evening to those 30 Eureka Saxon cuirassiers, purchased back in late 2016 and started during Winter 2024. Can't quite recall where I stopped in the painting process early last Spring, but it's high time to get back on the horse and maybe wrap 'em up before the Christmas holidays, which are not that far away now.

Beyond that, and thinking ahead as we do, I'd like to get back to the infantry and start brush work on some white-coated SYW Austrians, or possibly Anspach-Beyreuth troops in dark blue.  There are also some Austrian hussars (a large regiment of 40+) in the Drawer of Lead to my immediate left (Hussars?  Really, Stokes?  You?  I know, I know. . .) and some 18th century civilians in need of painterly attention. If that weren't enough, there is a large foam core and card bridge to design, cut out, assemble, and paint at some point. 

The list of hobby-related things to do goes on and on.  Could it be that I am, at heart, a model railroad hobbyist in disguise?  You know?  They always seem to be at work on one corner, or another of their layouts.  And those are sometimes many years in the making.  The real crazies will reach the end, enjoy it for a while, but tear it all down and start again.  Not necessarily due to a move of house or anything, but simply to improve upon previous efforts or tackle something new.  The journey rather than the end destination in other words. All very Summer Holiday and Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows.  But I'm showing my age and cinematic predilections here!

Returning to the present for a moment, I hope 2025 will allow for more "me time" at the painting table although there will be a promotion committee and another scholarship awards committee in the winter-early spring that, I know already, will throw a large wrench into the works.  To channel the late Rod Steiger as Napoleon for a moment, "Why?  Why Elba??!!" Why do I do this to myself?  

By and large, I enjoy what I do, but academia has an insidious way of taking over, bleeding into every corner of your life, and  sucking up any and all available time with one thing and another before you realize it.  30+ years ago, when I worked in a supermarket -- managing the dairy department, unloading 50-foot trucks with a manual pallet jack (thank you very much), and punching the clock -- evenings and half the weekend (at least) were mine.  Although funds and space for toy soldiering were more scarce at that point.  Some kind of cruel irony there.
------------

On a totally unrelated note, today will see me climb a step-ladder in the kitchen to scrape off the egg residue that ended up there while fixing dinner for Young Paul and myself Thursday evening.  It was to have been soft-boiled eggs, toast, and other typically breakfast foods.  We felt like shaking things up a bit in Sonja's absence, you know?
 
Keep in mind, I've done this 1000 times since my youth and am actually kind of handy in the kitchen.  My skills are a bit more than survival level at the stove, and I have several specialties that are actually quite complex in the preparation.  It ain't just Spaghetti-O's and boiled hotdogs in other words.  But I digress.

Well, yours truly had the bright idea of putting the eggs on to boil and retiring back down here for just a few minutes to wrap up a couple of work-related tasks as the eggs cooked.  25 minutes or so later, I realized my own forgetfulness, rushed upstairs to find the water all boiled away, and the eggshells turning brown as they burned in the small pot atop the stove.  
 
Keep in mind, we have three egg times that ring as well as the timer built into the stove-oven combo.  But did I set any of them to go off?  Oh, no.  That woud have been the intelligent thing to do.  And the simple answer.
 
Up in the kitchen, as I removed them from the heat and turned toward the sink, "Pop!!!"  Egg all over the place.  And all over yours truly.  In my hair, on my face, all over my clothes.  What a frightful mess it was.  Remarkably, I managed to hold my tongue and not fill the air with blue language, but I certainly thought it.  For his part, my teen-aged son is still laughing about about ol' Dad's culinary faux pas, as did Sonja when I told her on the phone late that evening. 

Should've gone with my initial impulse and called out for a pizza.
------------
 
In any case, kriegspilerly regards to everyone here, and Happy Weekend!

Kind Regards,

Stokes

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a

Keepin' an Eye on the World Going By My Window . .

'The Nap at the Palace' by Jose Triado Mayol N ot much in the way of hobby-related activity happening here in the Grand Duchy lately.  Sigh.  And no surprise there really since there are only so many hours in the day, only so much mental and physical energy to spare, and you sometimes simply just have to give in and know when to say, um, "When!"  A glass of wine and/or evening yoga by the hearth with the Grand Duchess (who has practiced for over 20 years), and then off into la-la land.  Zzzzzzzzz.   More immediately, I'm recovering, mentally speaking, from a grueling Friday in which I was involved with three (online) conference sessions, one right after the other, followed by a 90-minute meeting at the end of the day. Also virtual. My brain has been mush ever since, so an easy, completely unproductive Saturday watching intermittent snow fall outside (no accumulation however) and drinking coffee while the visiting handymen completed some repair work down her