Skip to main content

Stuart Asquith RIP. . .

 The now departed author and hobby personality playing a colonial game in 1978.  No hiding the width of neckties from that era!


Another one of the hobby greats, Stuart Asquith, passed away during the weekend.  While we never met (I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic), I was fortunate enough to exchange a couple of short emails with him 10 or 12 years ago when he was involved with a blog about all things Charge!  

Said blog was managed by four or five UK hobbyists during the wave of enthusiasm that followed the 2006 Sittangbad and 2007 Mollwitz refights at Partizan in the U.K. just as hobby and imagination blogging took off in a big way.  Sadly, the blog disappeared pretty quickly, but it was a real blast interacting with Stu even if only briefly and in passing.  He was very personable and humble in his emails to me, expressing surprise that a stranger in the U.S. had an inkling of who he was.

Stu Asquith's writing years ago in Military Modeling, various books, and magazines like Practical Wargamer and later Battlegames struck a chord with me in the same way that it probably did for many others in the hobby.  His informed enthusiasm always seemed to leap from the page if I might put it that way.  Oddly, I've been enjoying his thoughts on the 18th century once again these last few weeks via John Curry's  reissue of Wargaming 18th Century Battles.   

A more flattering photograph follows below from the December 1980 cover of Military Modelling, featuring Stu Asquith and colleague in striped rowing blazers and boater hats along with scads of plastic Britains figures on the table.  A marvelous image to be sure!

It is indeed peculiar how, even when one has never actually met a personality and writer like Mr. Asquith, we nevertheless feel as though we knew them personally.  I felt the same way when Donald Featherstone and Paddy Griffith left this mortal coil several years back, as well as the Norwegian author Stig Saetterbakken, some of whose work I translated into English once upon a time, along with a few articles about him, for some small publishing houses.  

My guess for this very real connection we might feel is that their writing allows access to deep insight into their personalities, ideas, and even world views, which goes a long way toward establishing that connection  -- a genuine meeting of the minds if you will -- even without ever becoming acquainted face to face and developing a friendship of longstanding.   In any case, there is no doubt that Stuart Asquith touched the hobby lives of many of us wargamers around the globe via his articles, book titles, stints as a magazine editor, and wargame show activities over the years.

What I have always liked best about Mr. Asquith's approach to tabletop warfare was the relative simplicity of his rules regardless of the period in question.  I think I read an article he wrote 35+ year ago, where he made the point that if rules were simple enough, players could get on with a game, concentrate on reproducing the tactics of a given era, and make it an interesting exercise themselves rather than depending on the writer of overly complex rules to attempt that for them.  There is something to that attitude and approach I think.

Simplicity of approach has been something I try to emulate myself in the mid-18th century rules I've been tinkering with for the last couple of years here.  Indeed, I've come up with a couple of great new very simple thoughts on handling tabletop troop morale just this week that build on, yet depart a bit from the old '50% Rule' without straying too far into numbers crunching.  No fun there!  

The modest ideas I describe owe just as much to Stu Asquith as to Don Featherstone.  I hope the two men might be meeting for a tabletop encounter once again somewhere in the afterlife now since I believe the latter was an honorary member of  Stu's Rayners Lane Wargame Club.

-- Stokes


Found it!  Said cover photograph.  A stirring picture if ever there were one.  I have always had something similar in the back of my mind. But perhaps more in the context of August-September 1914 in East Prussia with 1/72 plastics?  Now, there's a HUGE butterfly!

Comments

warpaintjj said…
Well said stokes.
Not my period but I too have read his books & briefly got the "imaginations bug". His like may not be seen again I fear.
Best wishes,
Jeremy
Unknown said…
Dear Stokes,

Thank you for your kind words about my dad, Stuart Asquith. Reading comments like this is a great comfort to me and my family at this difficult time.

Kind regards,

Tom
Unknown said…
Dear Stokes,

Thank you for your kind words about my dad, Stuart Asquith. Reading comments like this is a great comfort to me and my family at this difficult time.

Kind regards,

Tom
Just so. I only knew him through his writing and correspondence but to me his enthusiasm was irresistible and his generosity wide.
Kaptain Kobold said…
"No hiding the width of neckties from that era!"

Nor the fact that people wore one whilst wargaming
This is very good blog post, I like your content writing skill and I have also something to share:

norton.com/setup
norton com setup download
norton setup

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a