Skip to main content

Musket Barrels, Dapple Grey, and Horse Bits Done. . .

Here is where things are with the 14-figure cavalry squadron that has been on the painting bench since at least September.


Still a way to go with the current unit of cavalry, but I had a reasonably favorable experience doing the trumpeter's dapple grey mount two evenings ago.  

Instead of blazing, sun-bleached bone white for the dappling, I used Antique White, applied it with a crummy, not-so-good brush that doesn't hold a point, and used a stippling motion.  In addition, I was careful not to have very much paint at all on the bristles and smudged it around as soon as it had been applied before the acrylic dried.

Knowing when to stop is, in my view, an important and sometimes overlooked part of developing as a figure painter.  Sometimes, I notice figures online and in magazines that look a little overdone, almost like the painter didn't quite know when to put down the brush.  The popular three-shade methods, while they have many followers, too often veer into this land of the overwrought.  To my mind, the power of suggestion tends to yield a more realistic and pleasing appearance t0 units of 15-40mm figures than does trying to paint every last button, fold, and nostril of our small lead and plastic soldiers with a base color, shade, and highlight.  Just my two penn'oth you understand.

That said, I am tempted to try some additional very light dry-brushing in the area of  the horse's right shoulder (facing the camera) and on it's lower muzzle to tone down the dappling and black just a wee bit before calling it done.  See the photograph below, which I found online and used as a visual reference.  You'll notice here that the nose-lips area and much of the rest of the horse's coat have an ever-so-slight dusty, undefined appearance without crisp edges.  That leads me to think some very light dry-brushing might further enhance my rendition of said steed at the bottom of this post.

Anyway, my trumpeter's horse is far from perfect, but at arm's length, I think, it gives an almost reasonable approximation of a dapple grey, which is a nice change from my more usual (and simpler) damp or dry-brushing of light gray or white over a darker undercoat.

Ok, almost time to get the boy ready for the school bus.  It's 8:17am here.  Hustle, hustle!

-- Stokes 




Comments

Ed M said…
Although you're points about impressionist vs realist/detailed painting are spot on and well taken, I find myself impressed at the attention to detail (or should I say, "key" details) in your technique--especially given the large-figure units you are doing. Perhaps we all go overboard in our own ways, which is what makes following along and learning from others in their blogs so satisfying. Thanks for sharing your project and process. Looking forward to seeing the completed unit.
Matt said…
I think that's a very impressive dapple result. Avoid the temptation to tinker with it!
Agreed on all points.

Nice grey!
Andy McMaster said…
As said, very nice dapple.
Big Andy said…
I like painting Greys - or I would not have the Scots Greys in my 30mm collection but it does get a bit samey when you keep doing them. However that splendid photo and you post has give me a new angle on the job- thanks. Love it Andy

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a