Skip to main content

Carry on and Keep Painting!

The squadron of Wurttemberg horse grenadiers as of late last (Tuesday) night.


Things are progressing slowly but surely with the current batch of cavalry figures here in Zum Stollenkeller Mk II, bet we're getting there.  Though I finally had to quit last night about 10:15pm after making a second or third mistake.  These flubbs with the brush were fairly easily corrected, but it was time to stop and head off to bed for some reading.  

I'll leave highlighting until just about everything else is finished.  I've also decided on black reins, bridles, and straps this time around with some sparing dark grey highlights ala Doug Mason's work.  And I'll attempt to add some cavalry carbines last of all when everything else, including a white colonel's standard (presumed), has been added.  Horses will be mostly bays with a chestnut or three for variety plus, of course, the grey ridden by the regimental trumpeter near the lower right-hand corner of the photograph.  

The second squadron of the composite regiment, just visible at lower right, will have dark blue coats and will be based on one of the German heavy regiments in bearskins that fought for the French during our era, that is the mid-18th century.

Last of all, a closing thought on the will to keep painting.  

It occurred to me several days ago that so much of our craft involves painting straight or curved lines.  Many, many, many times over.  While highly impressive in appearance once everything is finished and varnished, you'll at once grasp why so many of us -- Guilty as charged, your honor! -- struggle with painting from time to time.  In other words, it's not always the most exciting thing to sit down and do.  Tedious and repetitive come to mind.  It's far more fun, sometimes, to sit down a look at the pretty pictures in our books and magazines isn't it?  But if you manage to keep a stiff upper lip, switch your mind to autopilot, and just get on with it, the end results speak for themselves I think.  Just my two cents on the subject.

-- Stokes

Comments

Big Andy said…
You know I do still enjoy painting- would not do it if I didn't but now only paint in short bursts almost 1 job at a time- so say Blue coats then Black Shako et etc - stopping between jobs or the eyes protest. So cock- ups are not uncommon. I have always been a slowish painter but these days sometimes it is glacial - but I still get the little lead gits done in the end.
Stokes, I find it very very therapeutic to paint. One can switch off and forget any real life issues.If I am really stressed I pull out a few Wargamer's Newsletters and take myself back to the early 1970's.Its a wonderful hobby for just forgetting about real life.
Martin said…
Hiya Stokes!

I have found that if I put on some good music on in the background, and start painting; after a while I enter a "Zen" like state! There is something very soothing about the concentration and repetition. (Though I will admit that looking at the results of other people's efforts a.k.a. "Eye Candy" is a lot of fun too!)
I enjoy painting in small batches where I can get from priming to final varnish in a few evenings doing multiple batches seems easier for me impatient-ness than one large batch that lasts for weeks, months, years....

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a