Skip to main content

A Waterloo Night Infantry Standard Update. . .

The freshly glossed standard bearers and standards that I have been nattering on about for months.  They'll join their waiting regiments tomorrow evening, and then dragoons, dragoons, dragoons!


Well, that's the second mini-project for the summer completed!  At long last, the infantry standards and ensigns are finished save for three small touch-ups, which I could probably ignore, and no one would know the difference.  But, you know how that goes.  

Most of us want our figures to be "just so" by the time we finish them at the painting desk.  Whether that comes from perfectionist tendencies, obsessive-compulsive disorder, or simply a desire to produce the best brushwork we can given available time and ability, most figure painters and gamers, I think, fall into this camp.  Otherwise, we'd play classic Avalon Hill board games with small card counters, right?  Waterloo anyone?

Smart-assed kidding aside, I seem to remember reading something by Terry Wise, Stuart Asquith, or one of the other Old Guard of the hobby, long ago in Military Modelling, that you should try to paint your figures as well as you can, developing and improving your brush skills and methods over time.  Like so much else I read as a callow youth in the early 1980s about preparing tabletop armies, that piece of wisdom has stayed with me.

In any case, these various flags are not quite as masterfully executed as recent examples by Der Alte Fritz, but he has perfected the method since I began these last winter, and I'd like to think my next batch of flags will look even better.  These will do nicely at arm's length however.

Remaining on the list of my hobby painting and modelling challenges to myself this summer are: 

1) Finish 30 RSM95 horse grendiers in bearskin bonnets (not dragoons it turns out).  
I'm trying something new in the painting here to see if I can't speed things along a little bit in the two months left before school and real life begin to interfere yet again with more pressing matters like hobby related activities.  In any case, the plan is for red-coated, Wurttemberg cavalry with black facings and turnbacks like those below:






2) Construct a red brick North German church. 
Based on an extant structure on Boizenburg, Germany, not too far from Luebeck, but on the former eastern side on the one-time internal boundary between West and East.






3) Construct a model of an existing half-timber warehouse.
A lovely old structure in Klaipeda, Lithuania (ex-Memel).








So, still much to do in the time remaining, so I won't make any overly confident predictions yet.  But I feel like I've managed to make a good start these last few weeks.  The old college try and all of that kind of stuff.

Ok, time to hit the sack.  It has been a long day.  A good day, but a long one.  The Young Master began his summer vacation last Wednesday, and keeping an active eight-year-old occupied and out of trouble takes it out of us guys on the wrong side of 50.  Whew!

-- Stokes

Comments

Captain Nolan said…
From the photos, these look to be up to your usual high standards. I love the colors. At least your energy for the evening did not flag until they were finished. Waterloo day looks like it was a banner day for Stollen!
Simon said…
If you do want a really good Waterloo board game, try Waterloo Quelle Affaire. Simple but really challenging. You should be able to get it at a good price now.
marinergrim said…
All looks good to me Stokes. Very fine silk to lead the lead the men.
Stryker said…
Amazing work with the flags - very impressive!

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...