Skip to main content

Now, where were we?

A suitable image to help get me back into the proper frame of mind.  Prussian infantry colors of the Seven Years War.


Finished the last bit of the spring semester yesterday afternoon with a 90-minute presentation and talk on increasing student motivation, engagement, and success.  Whew!  I'm always mentally and physically drained after one of these sorts of things, but I find myself relaxed this morning and looking forward to getting back into my hobby after several months away.  

There is, of course, the small Christmas solo raid game to play as well as some mounting those almost finished replacement Minden infantry standard bearers with their parent units, some more cavalry painting, and maybe also a few more buildings to add during the relatively care free summer months here at Stollen Central.  

But for today, I am simply going to daydream and enjoy a rainy cool day with nothing on my plate.  Is it me?  Life just never seemed to be quite this busy for our parents way back in the 1970s and 80s.  Anyway, onwards, and upwards, eh?

-- Stokes

Comments

Nice to hear from you. Now that you are somewhat more "relaxed" it might be nice to think about a large battle or two, perhaps a raid on your supply column and, in the area of terrain building, perhaps some walls to protect those lovely houses you built last year. Have a great summer!
Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop Emeritus

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...