Skip to main content

The Bell Tolls. . .

The Zichenaurs are at left, and the Stollenians at right.  I've cropped and brightened one of yesterday's photographs a bit.  That is a folded 3'x5' Norwegian flag in the background, that I purchased during my first visit to Norway way back in 1990, and with which I sometimes torment my wife although I have yet to tie it around my neck as a cape, don a mask, and run around the backyard for the neighbors to see.

August 2nd 1776 dawns clear and sunny around the Village of Doltz in the Mark of Schleiz as the rival armies more into their final positions.  The orders of battle look like this:
 

Grand Duchy of Stollen – General von Bauchschmerzen (played by Ross MacFarlane in Canada)

Leib Grenadiers

1st Musketeers

3/5th Foot

Hansa Infantry

Prinz Johannes’ Corps of Jaegers (1 coy.)

Von Priesse Reitere (2 sqns.)

3 Guns





Electorate of Zichenau – General Phillipe de Latte (played by Greg Horne in Australia)

Ermland Garde

Flickenhoffer Fusiliers

Principalities’ Provisional Regiment

Wild Geese Grenzers (1 coy.)

V. I. Warshawski Croats (1 coy.)

Dandy Hussars (1 sqn.)

Von Torden og Lyn Cuirassiers (2 sqns.)

2 Guns


The situation (C.S. Grant's 'Flank Attack' on pp. 34-35 in Scenarios for Wargamers) is this.  The Stollenian Army is [somewhat] numerically superior to the Zichenauers and occupies a defensive position along the northern ridge (at right) overlooking a shallow valley that is crossed by a narrow lane connecting the three villages of (from left to right) Bumpfkinzort, Schtügesdorf, and the slightly larger Doltz.  Hampered by their array of camp followers, the Zichenauers have moved from the lane to the southern ridge (at left).  

The general orders for the two commanders look this way.  The Stollenians under General von Bauchschmerzen must hold the northern ridge while the invading Zichenauers under the dastardly Phillipe de Latte must sieze the ridge to clear their way into the heart of the long-contested Mark of Schleiz.  While the soldiers in their respective armies hurridly swallow their last mouthfuls of stir-about and rum, clean their muskets, and mount up in the case of the cavalry, von Bauchschmerzen and de Latte make their final plans before battle commences.

-- Stokes


Comments

Peter Douglas said…
Good to see the armies on table Stokes. We really donee to see a picture of you in your flag and mask attire.

Cheers, Peter
Peter Douglas said…
Do need not donee.
Peter
Maj. Guiscard said…
This "virtual" general style is really great.
Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!