15 March 2014

Wagons Ho! -- An Update. . .

Most of the wagons and carts are now mostly assembled although there are still a few tiny bits and pieces to cement together on the two wagons in the background next to the Humbrol enamels and the two wagons in the foreground.  In addition, the two open-sided hay carts, drawn by the oxen, are due to have their 'ribs' (for want of a better term) cemented into place.  That particular step should be a huge pain in backside, so I'm avoiding it at the moment.

The pontoon and supply trains are taking gradual shape.  Since a brief adolescent foray into Revell plastic model car kits 3+ decades ago -- I went through a Chevrolet Corvette Stingray phase with I was 11-12 years old.  Farrah Fawcett Majors' "Foxy 'Vette" in silver-gray plastic anyone? -- I had forgotten how you've got to assemble multipart models bit by painstaking bit.  Which requires holding your breath, of course, as you carefully glue a few tiny pieces into place and back gently away from the painting table, so you don't disturb anything.  

And then, you must then go away for 24 hours or so, returning the next evening to continue with another phase of assembly.  Since even instant bonding super glues and gels take a while to cure and set fast, and that's if you don't get a minute wagon axle or something stuck fast to your eyelashes in the meantime, it's taking several days to get all of this stuff assembled for subsequent base coating, painting, glossing, and limited terrain treatment of bases.  However, I must admit that I am enjoying the journey for the most part.  

So, here is where things stand currently.  I have been, these last few days, interspersing work on another Norwegian to English translation of an essay by the late author Stig Saeterbakken (first draft finally wrapped up a short while ago) with the various stages of wagon and cart assembly.  A little cementing here, a little translation there, and so on, and so forth, ad infinitum.  Don't you just love Latin phrases?  

Thus far, things have gone reasonably well, and you'll notice very few superglue induced fingerprints on any of the parts.  That has, in turn, meant that the anticipated muttering and cursing under my breath has been minimized.  Jeeze Louise!  If I'm not careful, this could become a habit.  In any case, time for another late afternoon mug of coffee I think.

-- Stokes


Paul Robinson said...

Looking good though. Deserved reward for the effort.

Peter Douglas said...

Looking good. You are a child of the 70s sire - a Convoy reference and then Farrah reference to follow.

Heinz-Ulrich von Boffke said...

"Who loves you baby? Come and knock on our door. We've been waiting for you. . . and Goodnight John Boy!" Guilty as charged!

Best Regards,


Fitz-Badger said...

Until I got down to the end of your post I thought you had left out a crucial step of any multi-part gluing project. I'm referring, of course, to the part where one must glue one's fingers to the parts and to each other and spread excess glue around and create "strands" of glue as one pulls one's fingers away from the tube of glue and/or glued bits. But I see you have managed to bypass that step and build a good and varied wagon train.

Peter Douglas said...


He also seems to have missed the crucial slice the tip off of a finger on your left hand step too.

Say goodnight Stokes.

Heinz-Ulrich von Boffke said...

HELP. . . My eyelashes and toes are still stuck together!!!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...