Skip to main content

Up early on a Saturday. . . Argh!!!

Today, we'll shift from photographs of selected Christmas markets in German-speaking Europe and limit ourselves to old-fashioned Santa Clauses/ Father Christmases/ Saint Nikolauses for the next several days.  Here's an old postcard, featuring the Big Man, in blue robes of all things.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a representation of him in that color before.

Turned the light out at about midnight last night, absolutely worn out, and drifted happily to sleep in short order.  At about 4:30, some noise on the street woke me, and an hour later, still wide awake, I finally gave up the ghost, tiptoed downstairs, reheated some left-over coffee from after supper yesterday evening, and stole down here to Zum Stollenkeller.  Rats!  It is so difficult to sleep late on the weekends these days because Young Master Paul is still waking at around 8am.  Not only does he need breakfast and some supervision, which the Grand Duchess and I alternately share depending on the day, but he has not yet learned the concept of keeping his voice down and playing quietly.  So, continued sleep is difficult to say the least.  Afternoon naps --  for yours truly mind you -- are a possibility, but the Young Master's room is next to ours, and if he decides he is not going to sleep during HIS afternoon quiet time, again, sleep proves difficult for someone in the next room.  So, here I sit at the computer at 6:01am on a Saturday morning.  Grrrrr. . .   Ok, gumpy, early morning rant over.

Meanwhile, down here in Zum Stollenkeller, I spent a happy couple of hours yesterday evening working on those next five figures after supper and kitchen clean-up duty while the Grand Duchess took care of a few things up in her office.  Before opening any bottles, tubes, or tins of paint, I attached a standard to the flagpole of the standard-bearer after sketching a design on both sides very lightly in pencil and cutting it out with a hobby knife and metal ruler.  Next, it was time to apply the usual wash of green to the figures' bases, fleshtone to faces and hands, followed by painting the hats and shoes/gaiters black.  I then quit for the night and joined the Grand Duchess for a mug of hot chocolate upstairs before bed.  Later today, I'll attend to the two-part process of painting the redcoats: Humbrol orange enamel with a glaze of Winsor-Newton griffin Alkyd oil over top.  Then it' onto things like brown hair and so forth.  We have a small party here tonight, so the afternoon will likely see me doing some things upstairs to assist the Grand Duchess in preparation for the evening festivities, so any more time with the brush will need to wait until tomorrow some time.

Oh, on another painterly note, I had a question yesterday on how I approach blacklining.  It's done under bright light with a Leow-Cornell #001 sable round that I have had for 10+ years and thinned Citadel (ex-Games Workshop) paint.  Plus a lot of breath-holding. . .  along with a few touch-ups and the odd choice word or two uttered under my breath.  Some evenings, it goes more smoothly than others.  Sometimes, my hand shakes, I make a few mistakes, and decide to stop for the evening since going on would be frustrating and leave even more mistakes with the brush to fix later.  It's a classic approach I've tried to adopt, though I suppose to blackline in a truly old school way, I would need to use India ink.  Next time!

Changing gears a bit, we had our first snow of the winter season here at Stollen Central yesterday morning, actually sometime during the night between Thursday-Friday.  Just a dusting, but everything looked so pretty early yesterday morning when I came downstairs to the kitchen to fix the coffee, set the breakfast table and prepare Young Master Paul's breakfast.  It was as though a baker had sprinkled the neighborhood with confectionary sugar overnight.  Sadly, most of the snow had evaporated or blown away by early afternoon, but it lent a seasonal air to the daily proceedings of late here in he Grand Duchy of Stollen, and there is always the promise of sizable snowfall at some point later on, which still manages to excite me.  You know, those perpetual daydreams of cross-country skiing around the neighborhood before the streets have been cleared, something that has actually happened a few times over the last several years since I joined the Grand Duchess here in Central Illinois in December 2004.  Has it really been seven years already since I left Minneapolis, Minnesota?  Wow, that just doesn't seem possible.

One version of Luebeck's coat of arms that I stumbled onto online.  Reproducing it freehand on both sides of a 25-30mm standard should be a relatively straightforward process.

Finally, before I bring this rambling entry for today to a close and make a pot of fresh coffee -- or possibly return to bed and maybe a bit more sleep -- the design I plan for the standard carried by the Luebecker Musketeers is based on the illustration above, which I found online. . .   one of the many different versions of Luebeck's coat of arms.  I like the eagle, of course, and the yellow background along with the red and white shield, so. . .  this will be the rather simple, but no less eye-catching standard carried by my red-coated Luebecker musketeers. 

Comments

My Dear Prinz Ulrich,
As the redoubtable Hal of Thinglum commented so many years ago, any time spent painting adds to your inevitable list of completed figures. Even if it is but painting the muskets on four fusiliers, it is that much less to do later.
You mentioned how fast time has passed since you moved. It is simply a function of age. My guess is that I am some three decades or so older than you my esteemed Prinz Ulrich. The reality is that time will pass even faster. Enjoy every moment with young Master paul - for these moments are fleeting, indeed. It seems literally like yesterday that I embraced my niece for the first time - now she's a ten year old player of the cello, dribbler of basketballs, and all-around nice youngster. Where does time go? The answer is so far unknowable but it does demand that we make the most of every moment.
May you have the most enjoyable of Advent Seasons.
Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop of Han-gover

(A/K/A Jerry Lannigan)

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a