Skip to main content

Jousting at Windmills. . .

Oh no!  It's Windmills 10 -- Don Quixote 0. . .  Kind of how I fell, er, feel at the moment.

Have you ever had one of those days when you planned some kind of wargaming related activity, and then real life intervened?  Of course, you have.  We all have.  And such has been the day so far this morning here in the Grand Duchy of Stollen.

I woke far too early for a Saturday -- 6am -- and couldn't fall back to sleep, so gave up the ghost and rose quietly at 6:30.  A short while later, safely ensconced before my computer here in Zum Stollenkeller, I realized that I did not feel quite right and returned to bed.  Since I volunteered last night to get Young Master Paul up at 8:00, I informed the Grand Duchess that she might need to bell that cat after all.  I then fell fast asleep for another 3.5 hours, though that was interrupted intermittently by. . .

The dreaded Terrible Twos!  Yes, although Young Master Paul is only 19 months old, the routine screeching and tantrums have begun in earnest, which has turned our once pleasantly calm way of life here at Stollen Central upside down the last several weeks.  Making matters worse is the fact that these behaviors do not happen with yours truly, dear ol' Dad, but poor Mom seems to get the brunt of it.  While the two of us do our best to handle Paul in similar fashions, he seems to choose to "go ballistic" with his mother while remaining pleasantly calm and happy with me, which has caused my wife considerable distress you can understand.

Needless to say, the combination of my mild under the weather-ness (really just extreme fatigue), our son's current bouts of anti-social behavior, and how this is clearly affecting the Grand Duchess, plus dinner guests planned for this evening, kind of gets in the way of planned wargaming-related activities for the day.  I don't know about you, but I need a fairly clear and relaxed mind, to sit down to the workbench for a productive painting and/or modelling session.  The slightest bit of upset and tension tends to throw things off track for a day or two.  Blast!  Maybe I should suggest to my wife that we call our friends and reschedule this evening?


Later. . .

Thank you for the words of encouragement, everyone.  We went ahead and had our friends over for dinner, which provided a few hours of much needed escape through good food and fun conversation, although we were soundly beaten in Scrabble later by the husband of the couple.  A most impressive player, who used all seven of his tiles not once but twice during the game!  Even better, I had a couple of hours in the afternoon to complete (almost) the complicated  vain/sail assembly of the windmill I'm finishing up, using tiny strips of balsa wood along with strategic drops of super glue and beads of Elmer's wood glue for added strength.  Should easily be able to finish everything up this evening after Young Master Paul's bedtime.

Finally, here is a recent photograph of the Young Master at work, "reading" one of his favorites, The Mitten by Jan Brett. . .


Comments

Conrad Kinch said…
Chin up young Swartz.
Bluebear Jeff said…
Let me ask a question . . .

Given the start to the day, are you and/or the Grand Duchess "looking forward" to this evening? Or are you "doing your duty" by going forward with it?

If the latter, I'd say call up and postpone your guests to another night, pleading your illness and not wanting to infect them.


-- Jeff
marinergrim said…
I've always found that my friend Jim Beam helps at night. Somehow a glass with Jim makes me deaf to the screams of children. My wife is't overly fond of my friend.
And I agree - a clear head is needed to paint. My friend Jim seems to preclude that too.
Keith Flint said…
I reckon the best times with kids (I've got 3 - all teenagers now) are from about 3-4 years onward. Great times are ahead. But they do test you out, don't they?

Just remember that when your boy is 18 you'll look back at the photos of him at 19 months and sigh with nostalgia and love.

But then who needs advice from people you don't even know!? Anyway, like Conrad says, chin up!
Bloggerator said…
Cheeky monkey!

Erin, at 2 years 1 month is trying out the word 'no' for all occasions.

I just ask her if she wants ice cream.

Greg

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a