Not too much to report on the soldier front other than that I have almost finished applying two coats of Future/Klear acrylic floor finish to those Garrison artillery crew. They look mighty good if I do say so myself, and I'll have a photo posted here in a day or two. The two related MiniFig cannon are all assembled and awaiting a basecoat as are the 30 Holger Eriksson dragoons. I've decided to dig out my Windsor-Newton alkyd paints to use on the latter.
Alkyd paints are similar to standard oil paints, exhibiting the same brilliance and durability, but they dry to the touch in 24 hours or less thanks to the pigment being mixed with an alkyd medium instead of linseed or poppy oil for example. Anyway, I've made the momentous decision to basecoat the HE figures in white, at least for the horses, and then apply thin washes of various browns and greys over the white in a kind of glazing technique. I might even convince myself to add some black lining for added definition as I complete the figures. Peter Gilder would be pleased I think. We'll see how it goes, but it seems only right that these truly old school figures get a different treatment than my usual GW acrylic hobby paints treatment.
Well, that's about all for now. I feel as giddy as a schoolboy this afternoon and could babble on and on about nothing in particular for quite some time before conking out and collapsing onto the bed for a late afternoon nap, so it seems like a good idea to quit while I'm ahead. ;-) Be sure to tune in tomorrow for another seasonal scene along with more related soldier and painting chatter!