Skip to main content

Rat-a-tat-tat. . .

Might any of you Stollen regulars be able to offer some insight into the army and regiment for which this gentleman drums?

Back to painting in a limited way this weekend, and I've been working on the three company drummers for that unit of Huzzah Prussian musketeers that are being painted, more or less, as Wurtemburg infantry -- The Garde zu Fuss I do believe. Though they'll be given an imaginary name and identity once they are finished and take their proper place in the Army of Stollen.

I haven't finished with them yet, and painting all that extra white lace on the navy blue coats and sleeves is slow going, but they are shaping up nicely I think. Since I have not been able to find much information on Wurtemburg infantry musicians and drum hoops, much of my work is conjectural at best, but there you are. The unit will be imaginary anyway, so I'm really not worrying too much about it. The main thing is that I'm painting again after a hobby funk lasting about two months. Rest assured, a photograph or two of my three drummers will appear here in a few days when I have finished them.

Now, the fellow pictured above is something of a mystery. While I like his uniform colors and drum hoops, I have no idea what army or regiment to which he might belong. Suffice to say, that he just caught my eye, and given the subject matter of this entry, he seemed appropriate. And so, as Todd Rundgren once sang in the early 1980s, "I don't want to work. . . I just want to bang on the drum all day!"

Comments

justMike said…
Horse on the drum suggests English or possibly Hanover for this guy Stokes. Don't know as that helps much. - Mike
andygamer said…
He's a Brunswick drummer--I guess of a regiment with red facings.
Ed said…
I agree with andygamer...Brunswick Leib Regiment. I can't seem to find a pic that shows my Fedoran version...possibly here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mpkK9f8QaEY/Rucye5mzuMI/AAAAAAAAAFA/O16aKnksRLs/s1600-h/DSCN0039.jpg

Ed v. H-F
Pjotr said…
Stokes,

I picked this from http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Brunswick_Army

The drummers of the Leib regiment wore a yellow coat edged white with 7 double laced white buttonholes and with red collar, cuffs and turnbacks. The swallow nests on the shoulders were also red and there were 5 white horizontal braids bordered by a white vertical braid on each sleeve.
The drum had a brass base carrying the Brunswick coat of arms with a rim decorated with red and white diagonal stripes and with white cords.
Glad to see you back at the painting table.

Peter
Bloggerator said…
Glad to see you back Stokes.

Greg
Remember that 18th century drummers may use reversed colors to their regiment, so his regimental uniform may be red faced yellow.
Big Andy said…
I'd tend to think Brunswick too though Hanoveer did cross my mind definitely NOT English (wrong hat)

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a