Skip to main content

What's black, white, and red all over?

Why, a newspaper of course! Moldy, old jokes aside, Austrian (Stollenian) cuirassiers are also black, white, and red all over. And so, here are a couple of new photo updates, showing where we stand with the first squadron of the Anspach (Von Heide's) Cuirassiers. All of the white has been applied as have the red turnbacks and facings and the brown hair.


Here's another view from the other side of the table ;-). Next up, the red breeches and saddle cloths with gold lace for the officer and yellow for the men. The actual Anspach regiment had silver/white lace I believe, but I'm not worried by my apparent error much. They'll serve in a fictitious army anyway, so a rather generic appearance is fine with me.


Finally, everybody has to get in on the act! Lately, the Grand Ducal feline, Princess Rannveig, has taken to hopping from the table up onto my shoulders and sitting as I work at the computer or paint. Her balance is still pretty amazing for a 15-year-old cat. So, she sits next to my cheek, purrs, and oocasiaonally seems very interested in what I'm currently working on while I talk quietly to her. My chatter apparently satisfies some need Rannveig has, becuase she'll eventually leave of her own accord after 15-20 minutes and return to her food dish in the kitchen or lounge somewhere on the first or second floor of the house.


Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Our 16-year-old female cat also sometimes stands on my shoulders like that. She leans into the back of my head for more support/security.


-- Jeff
Fitz-Badger said…
Thankfully my cat doesn't do that. He weighs 14 lbs! :)
Frankfurter said…
I've had some cats do that.
Franny, my oldest, however, likes to get on the back of the chair and then to slide down between the chair and my back!
:)
A
Martin said…
Our cat "Pouncer" has just started doing the same thing. I detect the outlines of a "Cat-spiracy". What's next? Cryptic messages in the litter box?!

Keep plugging away Stokes! That was a great action shot.

Martin
Capt Bill said…
Our newest kitten, Lord Nelson, is really a terrorist. His elders, Skipper and Capt Butler, just can't relax with all of his antics. Hopeful life will settle down as Lord Nelson matures....

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a