Skip to main content

Hurrah -- It's Friday!!!

No photo updates of Jonathan's and my game just yet, but the weekend is almost here, so I imagine we'll have a little more time to proceed on that front. Funny how the game -- the Action at Pickelhaubewicz -- has only become more interesting as we have gone on with it. Colonel von Grundig may be losing the game, but, from a purely objective point of view, it's fascinating watching him do it!

In other news, my amateur rock band, The Indras, met for practice yesterday evening and covered five new songs in fairly short order, a few Carl Perkins numbers as well as Larry Williams'
Slow Down and Kansas City/ Hey, Hey, Hey. The old voice held up well, even on the latter two songs, which are punishing to say the least. We have now reached 30 songs. Ideally, we hope to have 45 down cold by the end of February, which is what we need to fill an occasional evening playing for an audience and a little money. One of our guitarists, who is also something of an amateur recording buff, is planning to commit half a dozen of our strongest songs to computer chip sometime in January, as a means of uploading some music onto the coming band website and burning a CD. Exciting stuff to say the least.

On other fronts, the Grand Duchess and I are having a small Christmas/Holiday open house for friends and colleagues tomorrow evening, so today will be spent finishing decoration of the house and running the vacuum cleaner around quickly following a final exam I have to give at 1:15 this afternoon. The preparation for these sorts of things is always time consuming, but the actual event is always worth the time and trouble taken. And somewhere in there, I must proofread the final four chapters of the translation and send everything off to the publisher on Monday -- plus finish and submit final grades for my current crop of students. Whew!

And finally, we come to the illustration above, showing Ebeneezer Scrooge enjoying some, presumably, Christmas punch with Bob Cratchit, following the former's re-education and rehabilitation by the three Christmas spirits. As I've mentioned here in previous years, I am generally something of a sceptic and cynic (somewhat like Scrooge?), at least in some instances, but the Christmas season makes me feel decidedly giddy, jolly, and, well, merry. It is, indeed, a most wonderful time of year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!