Skip to main content

Green Bases Completed!

Good morning everyone! It’s just after 9am, and I’m sitting in Zum Stollenkeller with a mug of coffee and some piano jazz online, still trying to mentally wake up. Do you ever have the occasional morning where the old brain just refuses to get going?

Above is a photo of the Revell battalion with its finished green bases, clearing the way to start on the officers’ wigs and men’s hair with flesh tone on the hands and faces. I didn’t get down here to paint last night, so that will be priority number one this evening, following our usual Wednesday bike ride for ice cream and dinner after we arrive home.

Anyway, these figures don’t look like much at the moment, but then do they ever at these early stages? Hopefully after a couple nights of work, they’ll start looking like a proper formation of men.

Last night the Grand Duchess and I watched a movie on DVD – Weekend at Bernie’s from (I believe) 1988 with Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman. Truly one of the funniest stupid movies I’ve seen in a long time. The basic premise is two lowly corporate insurance workers in New York City are invited by their boss “Bernie Lomax,” a corrupt executive, to spend the weekend at his massive New England beach house.

In the meantime, Bernie is “knocked off” by the mob, who is also after McCarthy and Silverman. In turn, they stage a series of elaborate sight gags, using Bernie’s corpse, to make it look as if he is still alive, preventing (they hope) the hit man from completing his assignment. This includes a bizarre party scene and a later Monopoly game with the dead body. It’s absolutely ridiculous, but if you are looking for a mindless, hysterical (at times) movie, check out this one sometime.

Finally, I notice that the text for the Grand Duchy of Stollen blog has passed the 200 page mark. I write these entries in MS Word, which I then paste into Blogger. Anyway, in just under two years, I have managed somehow to write 202 pages of terribly significant“stuff” about the Grand Duchy of Stollen project, related subjects, and even some entirely unrelated things – like bicycling and Weekend at Bernie’s. Sigh. Wouldn’t it be nice if someone would pay us handsomely for our blog entries? ;-)


Comments

DestoFante said…
>Do you ever have the occasional morning where the old brain just refuses to get going?

Occasional? It's a daily experience, until my daily cappuccino brings me back to reality... (although, sometimes, I would just prefer to stay in my own world...)

Congratulations on the 200-page mark!
Fitz-Badger said…
In the painting process I often find there's a stage where things start coming together and I'm eager to finish to see the final product. I think that's one reason I prefer to do small batches. I get to that stage quicker (not that I'm a speed painter by any means! lol).
marinergrim said…
Surely the knowledge that you are now known arpund the world is reward enough?

I agree about that painting stage. For me it's normally once the figure only needs the webbing and detail completing. Until then, in just hat and coat he still looks out of sorts. Although interestingly for the more modern figure that stage is much earlier - perhaps it has to do with the smaller colour pallet required.
Hah! But we are payed handsomely - in the comments that are readers leave, the associations we therefore form, the idea's that we collectively come up with, the imagination fuel that those idea's conjure up (as if from thin air).. etc etc. Not wanting to be too cheesy - that's big bucks indeed! :o))
Bluebear Jeff said…
Stokes,

Congratulations on passing the 200 posts milestone!

You're ahead of my Saxe-Bearstein blog . . . it only has 170 posts . . . but if I count ALL of my blogs, I think that I am slightly ahead of you.

And am I ever familiar with those "slow to get going" mornings . . . *sigh*.


-- Jeff

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a