Skip to main content

A Wargame Figure Painter's Things-to-Do List

Agh! It’s finally Friday, and I can’t do any painting! Life is so unfair sometimes. We have a couple with whom we are good friends coming over for wine, pizza, dessert, and good conversation this evening. All fine and dandy. The bad part is that I need to swiffer and vacuum the apartment plus clean the bathroom before they arrive at 7:00. If we didn’t actually LIKE this couple, I’d be more upset, but they are interesting and good company, so I guess it’s not too bad.

And then we’re going to Chicago early tomorrow for a day and dinner in the big city, so it’s unlikely that I’ll feel up to painting when we get home tomorrow night. I think the Grand Duchess must be involved in some sort of silent grand plot, along with other wargaming wives and girlfriends around the world, to keep me from finishing the Zichenauer infantry! Hmmm. . .

Sunday is November 11th, Veterans’ Day (originally Armistice Day), the day on which general fighting ceased on the Western Front in 1918, and which is usually thought of as the beginning of the end to WWI, at least as history is taught here in the USA.

I always think of my maternal grandfather on this day. He was a paratrooper during WWII (13th Airborne Division), a tall, handsome, fair-haired North Carolina boy, who was drafted almost immediately after the US entered WWII. Luckily, he saw no combat and survived to come home and start a family with my grandmother. His two brothers and three brothers-in-law also made it home relatively unscathed. Pretty amazing when you think about it. We didn’t always see eye to eye on everything, but as an adult, I often ask myself how he would have handled various situations that come up in everyday life. He was quite a guy.

Finally, the 30 Spencer Smith cavalry figures, in the classic charge pose, are waiting for their basecoat of artists’ acrylic gesso as you know already. I just have to finish the Zichenauers first. Let’s see, we have about a month and a half of 2007 left, and I’d also like to paint a two-gun battery of artillery with 13 crew, General Phillipe de Latté and his two staff -- you’ve seen them lurking unpainted in many photos for the last several months -- and two medieval bell tents from Magister Militum, which arrived last March.

The question naturally begs, can I actually do it? Well, you never know unless you try, right? Or, as an old Pennsylvania lottery commercial used to say in the early 80s, “You’ve gotta play to win!” So, I think I’ll make a painting challenge to myself, and see if I can get all of this “stuff” finished by December 31st. If I am unable to meet the challenge, you Grand Duchy of Stollen regulars receive full crowing and cajoling rights up to and including actual mockery and derision. Hopefully, that won’t be necessary though. ;-) Happy Weekend everyone!

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
Have a grand time in Chicago with the Grand Duchess . . . and maybe she'll let you get some painting in sometime.


-- Jeff

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a