Happy first day of fall! I have finally managed to get in a little time on my new infantry unit, Stollen’s 32 figure Jaegers zu Fuss! Still in the very early stages, but, dare I say, they’re going to look good. I’ve painted the coats of all 32 figures Humbrol “Rifle Green”, using a tin of this color that I purchased at MiniFigs in Southampton, UK in January 1989! Amazing how the stuff lasts if tins are sealed tightly.
In addition, I “test painted” one figure’s breeches, small clothes, facings, and turnbacks light blue. Parenthetically, this was the first time I’ve used my new Games Workshop paints. Anyway, the test figure already looks fantastic! And I haven’t even painted the flesh areas yet. I’ll try to paint all flesh and the light blue areas in another painting session this evening after dinner while my poor wife grades student essays and prepares a conference paper.
On another note, I’ve finally decided how I’ll do my standards and cavalry guidons. I’m going to use designs for several minor German states from Warflag and Napflags. “Why?” you ask. Well, I like the way the various designs look, it’s easier, and they’re better than anything I can paint freehand. Since my planned armies are imaginary anyway, it doesn’t really matter to me that the flags were really carried by actual units in passed conflicts. Only hardcore 18th century and Napoleonic-era vexologists will know the difference anyway!
The molded flags of the Revell standard bearers cut away very easily, and it should not be hard to replace the flagpoles with suitable wire (re: paperclips). I’ve also sent e-inquiries to Ellerburn Armies (Hinchliffe) and Front Rank, regarding the25/28mm finials they produce. So, eventually, my figures will have some nice looking standards and guidons to fight for and protect in hand-to-hand melees and cavalry charges. Can’t wait!