I quickly decided that gluing the figures (reminder: my figures are large 1/72 figures by Revell AG in
On that note, I next quickly removed my Jaegers zu Fuss from their temporary bases after applying the coat of white Elmer’s Glue. The first basecoat of black Liquitex followed although one has to do this in two steps, first the bottom half of each figure, then the top halves, because there is no longer a temporary base to hold onto. I’ll have to query Henry Hyde over at OSW and learn in more detail how he works with his old plastic Spencer Smith figures during the early steps of painting.
I also discovered about a week ago that coating a test figure in the Future floor polish to protect it works well, but with one caveat. It causes some of the brass colored oils I used for badges on the black cartridge pouches to run. Arrrrgggghhhh! I’ll either have to revert to my Humbrol metallics, purchase acrylic-based metallics from GW (an appealing possibility since I like the colors I’ve purchased from them so far), or slap a preliminary protective coat of matt Humbrol varnish over any metallic areas before applying the Future. For now, I tried the third possibility. And the lesson is: Always, always, always try something new on a single test figure before proceeding with the entire unit. Fortunately, I have only the single “crash test dummy” to repair, rather than the entire unit of 63 figures. Whew! That would have been heartbreaking.
On a final and more uplifting note, have a look at a new blog by Patrick Lewis at: http://maglittlearmies10mm.blogspot.com/ and learn all about his 10mm painting and figure collecting project involving The War of Spanish Succession. His tiny figures are impressively painted, and it’s interesting to learn about Patrick’s ideas and process in detail.