Skip to main content

Early Brushwork on the von Hordt Frei-Infanterie. . .

 


Half of the figures presented to me by the Grand Duchess and Young Master for Christmas 2022.  The first half were those that became the Ansbach-Beyreuth Jaegers during the summer months.  As usual, the photographs have been brightened and cropped, but otherwise are as is.

Despite all rumors to the contrary, things have not become entirely moribund here in the Grand Duchy of late.  The usual mix and intrusion of work and real life, you know.  But I have managed to find the odd 60 minutes here, 30 minutes there to work on my generic company of frei-infanterie (based loosely on the Von Hordt Infantry)  as and when time permits.

Here are a couple of Saturday morning photographs to illustrate where things stand at the moment.  Still lots of small details to do, with the usual touch-ups, but most of the basic colors have been blocked in at this point.  

The paints used have been all acrylics except for the initial flesh tone, which was my usual Winsor & Newton Griffin alkyd oil preference.  It yields a nice, well, fleshy result, to which I then apply a flesh wash to tone it down a bit.  The Army Painter wash, moreover, settles into the facial and hand details, as washes do, bringing everything nicely to life. Otherwise, a happy mix of old Ral Partha, Citadel, Vallejo, and Army Painter colors and washes has been used thus far.

Contrary to predictions, today has dawned bright and sunny, so mowing will need to take place once things dry out on the lawn.  Sadly.  The forecast was originally for a rainy day, and I had hoped to spend it ensconced in my painting chair, but needs must I suppose.  So, it will be evening before I can get back to these.  But they are shaping up nicely I think, and I hope to have them finished by October's end.  

Then, it will be time to review my painting plans outlined in a post last January and continue the brushwork.  I also hope to have a solo affair -- Let's call it a comfortable wargame --  during the long US Thanksgiving weekend in late November,  As stated in an earlier post, the Young Master is free to join in if he wishes, but I am not planning on it given his mercurial and capricious nature in recent months.

-- Stokes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!