Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!
Mid-18th Century Painting and Collecting with Occasional Tabletop Games in the Grand Manner Since 2006




_CO_and_Staff.jpg)














Comments
Today I remembered my Grandfather who on this day in 1914 was a Lieutenant on HMS Cornwall an Armoured Cruiser in the South Atlantic. Before the year was out he had been in the Battle of the Falklands; and in December on Christmas Day his ship was undergoing repairs as a result of the battle in Esquimalt Harbour. He survived the war having fought all the way through it.
The Kohima Epitaph from WWII says it all for me, no matter which conflict:
'When You Go Home,
Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow,
We gave Our Today'.
Best regards,
Simon
I really enjoyed all the images - cavalry especially the brigade formation. I appreciate all you did for your readers.
Respectfully,
Bill
Y'know old bean, I'll say this for the chaps of 1914. At the least they had no idea of the ordeal that lay before them.
On the other hand, we do! More than four years of solemn faces, chaps dressing up in old clothes and the unrelieved horror or documentaries, "specials" and pompous pollies waffling on.
Chin up old man, and keep on smiling!