Skip to main content

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

 

Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack.

Where in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind.

Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are.

I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit more, well, interesting.  This time, that medium worked nicely I think.  Looks a little funny at the moment, but I think once everything is finished and glossed, the overall effect should be reasonably good. They'll look like horses even if the coloring is slightly off.  

Just one of the many compromises we have to make in the ever present quest to get our units painted to completion.  Especially large ones like this.  Keep in mind, the plan is an eventual monster regiment of 56 hussars, based on the Warasdiner Grenz Hussars.  I know, I know.  I ought to have my head examined.  I keep thinking about the home for deranged scientists in that old Thomas Dolby video.

But coming back to reality, even if just for a moment, no time to dilly-dally.  Gotta keep moving forward with the rest of the tack.

-- Stokes

Comments

James Fisher said…
A bit of progress is always good. Don't you find that you seem to be getting nowhere, then the white goes on and suddenly, they are nearly finished?! 'Cept that last 10% that takes the longest time, haha!
Best wishes, James
Indeed, James! It often seems like one plugs away for weeks with little visible progress, and suddenly the figures reach the 90% done stage, But that last bit also seems to take ages sometimes. The zen of figure painting I suppose.

Kind Regards,

Stokes
tradgardmastare said…
Coming along nicely, steady as she goes…
Alan Tradgardland
Duke of Baylen said…
Some encouraging progress on one of the more demanding troop types. I like your ambition to produce a sizeable unit. I shall continue to follow with interest. I'm always encouraged by painters whose progress, like mind, is in the slower lane, and baffled by those who seem to produce a thousand figures a year. I guess their just different goals and we all do what suits ourselves but just sometimes the figures could get the brushes out in the night and add a little more paint.
Stephen
Richard said…
They are coming along nicely.
pancerni said…
Steady progress and the process will yield you another fine unit for future games. Some fine work.
Matt said…
I think they are coming along handsomely!
Thank you for all of your encouraging words everyone! We had a spot of sever weather early Friday evening which knocked out power (high winds) for close to 24 hours, so painting Saturday was limited to a few dark brown hooves. Planning to get back in the saddle (Oooof!) later today (Sunday) to doe a few touch-ups and begin the horse tack in earnest.

-- Stokes
caveadsum1471 said…
Good progress, hope youve managed to get a bit mored to get some more done today
Best Iain

Popular posts from this blog

And We're Off!!!

  Arrrgh!  Gotta go back into camera settings on my iPhone to bring all of the frame into focus.  Blast! Painting is underway on the 60 or so Minden Austrians, which are slated to become my version of the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment of AWI renown.  More or less indistinguishable from Austrians of the era really, right down to the red facings and turnbacks, but the eventual flags (already in my files) will set them apart.   I went ahead and based-coated all of them over a couple of days lthe last week of August, using a mix of light gray and white acrylic gesso, before next applying my usual basic alkyd oil flesh tone to the faces and hands.  In a day or two, I'll hit that with Army Painter Flesh Wash to tone things down a bit and bring some definition to the faces and hands.   As usual, the plan is to focus on about 20 figures at a time, splitting the regiment roughly into thirds along with the color party and regimental staff.  Depending on ...

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

Sunday Morning Coffee with AI. . .

    A rmed with a second cup of fresh, strong coffee, I messed around a bit this morning with artlist.io using its image to image function in an attempt to convert my hand-drawn map from September 2006 to something that more resembles an old map from the mid-18th century.  And just like my experiments with Ninja AI in June, the results are mixed.   The above map is pretty good, but Artlist keeps fouling up the place names and has trouble putting a faint overlay of hexes across the entire area.  Hexes, admittedly, are not likely to be found on any genuine maps from the era in question, but there we are.  Frankly, I prefer the appearance of the Ninja map, but there were problems getting it to correct its errors.  Grrrr.  As is the case with so much having to do with the various AI's out there now, the output generated is a direct result of the prompts entered.  For text alone, and when you develop a lengthy, highly detailed prompt, it is...