Skip to main content

Let the Glossing Begin!

 

My usual photographic placeholder until I have something more interesting to show and tell.

Well, Sir. . . Grading is all done, final grades were submitted last Tuesday the 5th, and I presented a poster at our internal teaching and learning conference on Wednesday.  The last department meeting for the year followed on Thursday, and yesterday (Friday) was a "No Day." It's finally time to begin applying acrylic gloss to those 60 or so Anhalt-Zerbst figures.  And at long last, glossing will get underway later today.  

I'll start with the mounted colonel and the first 20 or so figures completed late last fall. Or maybe it was during the early winter?  In any event, I'll move onto the next 20 and so forth if that goes quickly enough.  I usually opt for a couple of coats to make'em nice and shiny with a third application of the stuff to those raised areas where the figures are more likely to get touched in the handling.  

You know.  To provide a bit more long-term protection to the brushwork.  Outer upper arms, bayonets, hat corners, horse ears, muzzles, and tails, etc.  It's one more of those inexact sciences that is a part of miniatures painting but one that's rarely discussed.

Right now though, it's just before 10am on Saturday here.  Time to make a fresh pot of coffee and set the table for breakfast with the Young Master.  

The Grand Duchess left for a two-week visit to Indonesia yesterday, where she'll be leading a pedagogy clinic, for want of a better description, and building relationships with faculty at the university where she has been invited to mentor.  She'll eventually make it to Jogjakarta after a lengthy trip via Frankfurt and Singapore. I can't seem to recall, though, that she has ever mentioned the name of the university for all of the planning and excitement of recent months. 

Funny how certain key details like that can sometimes get lost in the shuffle of life. 

Sonja checked in via text from Germany early today and shared a photo of her own coffee and small breakfast.  I have sadly forgotten what that's called in German beyond the more general Fruehstuck.  Suffice to say, it looked pretty good for airport fare.  She'll also have enough time to go into the city for a quick walkabout, the lucky duck.  

But enough mindless prattle!  Time for some fresh coffee of my own and breakfast with Paul.

-- Stokes    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

Basic Reds Done at Last. . .

  S till quite a way to go with the current batch of 20 human figures and a horse (of course), but they're actually starting to look like something after all of the red distinctions.  Quite a bit of painting in hour-long sessions the last week as and when time has allowed.  Mostly applying the basic dark red to facing areas and turnbacks followed by the inevitable touch-ups to clean up wobbly edges and those misplaced, minute splotches of Citadel Khorne Red.   They're looking like so many Austrian infantry regiments of the era at this point, but the eventual flags will turn them magically into the Anhalt-Zerbst Regiment, more or less, of the AWI period.  But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself. One frustrating point (ahem) of sad discovery.  I've started trying to use those Winsor & Newton 'Series Seven' brushes (#1 rounds) purchased last spring, and the blasted things simply will not keep a point.  Very frustrating since I have heard over the y...